Hi. I’m Eric Nance, a freelance designer and creative
entrepreneur. I founded Indie Arsenal, a collaborative
collective of independent creatives, and Epiphany Graphics,
a web design and development firm.
Thanks for joining me today!
What is Creative Independence?
* The ability to express your creativity in meaningful,
fulfilling, profitable and engaging ways
* Answering to yourself, being your own boss
* Doing what you want, when you want
* Empowering yourself to be in control of your own destiny
* Freeing yourself from the “norm”, exiting the “rat race”
* What am I passionate about?
* How will I make the world a better place?
* Write down five things you are passionate about.
* Post it to a wall and refer to it often.
* What are my internal motivations?
* What are my external motivations?
* What is my vision for where I want to be in one year?
Five years? Ten years?
* Make a screensaver for your computer that visually
illustrates your motivations.
* Decorate your studio with inspiration.
* Keep a journal.
* My mom said I’m talented. So, I must be, right?
* What IS my talent?
* Share your talent with the world.
* Acquire the tools necessary to manifest your talent.
* How will I become an expert? What will I specialize in?
* How will I maintain my expertise?
* Immerse yourself in continuing education.
* Share your knowledge.
* Learn from others.
* What are the most effective ways to market my business?
* What is my unique positioning?
* Create a marketing plan.
* Set a marketing budget. Increase it each year.
* Get creative! Be innovative and stand out from the crowd.
* Am I profitable?
* How do I work less to earn more?
* Keep good records.
* Raise your rates.
* Find passive revenue streams and nurture them.
* How do I adapt to change?
* Is change positive or negative? Do I embrace it or run away?
* Be mindful of change in your industry.
* Make a plan for change and anticipate it.
* Who can I count on?
* Do I have a “circle of trust?”
* Form strong alliances with your peers.
* Offer assistance and request it in return.
* How do I achieve balance in my life?
* Start two new hobbies this year.
* Get two new stamps in your passport.
* Learn a new language.
* Am I an optimist?
* Have a healthy attitude towards work and life.
* See the silver lining.
* Stay positive.
Seize opportunities. Always abuse the podium!