Session Presented @IndicThreads Cloud Computing Conference, Pune, India ( http://u10.indicthreads.com )
The concept of cloud computing is quickly scaling the chasm between hype and reality. Cloud Computing is rapidly becoming popular amongst enterprises that realize the benefits of shared infrastructure, lowered costs and minimal management overheads. But not all organizations and applications may benefit from a cloud computing platform. A legacy application ported in a native fashion to a cloud computing platform may not utilize any of the platform’s USPs at all. More importantly, wrong choice of platform can be disastrous. Deciding the optimal cloud vendor or platform for your requirements is a complex task.
Consider the plethora of choices available in the world of cloud computing:
* Public Cloud or Private Cloud or Hybrid Cloud
* Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS): Amazon AWS, Rackspace Cloud, GoGrid, Terremark,
* Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS): Google AppEngine, Microsoft Azure, Heroku
* Software-as-a-Service (SaaS): Salesforce, Netsuite, Google Apps, saas.com
* Should you use IaaS, PaaS or SaaS for your application?
* Which cloud database fits your application? SimpleDB, SQL, RDS, Hadoop?
We will discuss the various business and technology factors to consider, while choosing a cloud vendor. We will explore the pros and cons of various cloud vendors and their offerings. Lastly, we will also discuss some real-life use-cases of applications and servers being migrated to cloud computing and what factors led to selection of a particular cloud vendor.
Takeaways from the session
This talk would serve as an introduction to a wide variety of cloud computing platforms. The audience would be able to answer questions like: “What options are available for cloud computing?”, “What are their pros and cons?”, “Should I consider migrating my application or server to the cloud?”, “Should I use IaaS, PaaS or SaaS?”, “Which is the best cloud vendor for my use-case?”