Lecture 1 information systemPresentation Transcript
Lecturer Computer Science
MS Computer Science Sweden
• Why Do People Need Information?
• Individuals - Entertainment and Enlightenment
• Businesses - Decision making, Problem Solving
• Data vs. Information
• A “given,” fact; a number, a statement, or a picture
• The raw materials in the production of information
• Data that have meaning within a context, data after process
Data, Information, and Systems
• Generating Information
• Computer-based ISs take data as raw material, process it, and
produce information as output. (Definition of Computer)
• What Is a System?
• System: A set of Components that work together to achieve a
• Subsystem: One part of a system where the products of more
than one system are combined to reach an ultimate goal
• Closed System: Stand-alone system that has no contact with
• Open System: System that interfaces with other systems
IS is combination of
and telecommunications networks
that people build, collect, and distribute useful data, typically in
7Qualities of humans and computers that contribute to synergy
Why Study IS?
• Information Systems Careers
• Systems analyst, specialist in enterprise resource planning (ERP), database
administrator, telecommunications specialist, consulting, etc.
• Knowledge Workers
• Knowledge workers are typically professionals who are relatively well educated
and who create, modify, and/or synthesize knowledge as a fundamental part of
• Employers seek computer-literate professionals who know how to use
Types of Information Systems
• Transaction processing System (TPS)
• Knowledge Management System (KMS)
• Learning Management Systems (LMS)
• Database Management System (DBMS)
• Office Information Systems (OIS)
• Management Information System (MIS)
Basic Components (For computer-based IS)
An IS using computer technology to carry out some or all of its
•Hardware- these are the devices like the monitor, processor,
printer and keyboard, all of which work together to accept,
process, show data and information.
•Software- are the programs that allow the hardware to process
•Databases- are the gathering of associated files or tables
containing related data.
•Networks- are a connecting system that allows diverse
computers to distribute resources.
•Procedures- are the commands for combining the components
above to process information and produce the preferred output.
1- People in organizations use information systems to process sales
transactions, manage loan applications, or help financial analysts decide
where, when, and how to invest.
2-Product managers also use them to help decide where, when, and
how to market their products and related services, and production managers
use them to help decide when and how to manufacture products.
3-Information systems also enable us to get cash from ATMs,
communicate by live video with people in other parts of the world, and buy
concert or airline tickets.
Learning Assignment (4 Marks)
• Case Study on FedEx to know its Information System.
• Study on
• Transaction processing system
• Library Information System
• Decision Support System
• Office Automation System
• Online Ticketing System
• Office Automation System
• Expert System
• Information Systems Today: Managing in the Digital World, Fourth Edition, by Joe
Valacich and Christoph Schneider. Published by Prentice Hall.