View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Winning Venture Capital
Ignite Leeds 2009
Edward French, 22nd January 2009
• Ed French, Investment Director, Enterprise Ventures
• Team specialising in backing early-stage companies and
• Done around 40 technology investments~ half software
• £40m under management in technology funds
• Deals from £50k-£2m
What is Venture Capital?
• VC provides capital for a share of the business (usually 25-50%)
• VC joins the team and helps
• Everyone makes money ... OR .. Not
– Some businesses fail
– Some businesses survive but don’t make money
– A few businesses pay back all the capital
When should you start talking to a VC?
Why might my business be rejected?
Too similar to other Opportunity too
How much money should you ask for?
The least that will What you need and a Aim higher than you
work tiny bit more need
VC’s like to back companies with no
How long might it take?
3 months 6 months 12 months