2. NARRATIVE Narrative in songs is rarely complete more often fragmentary (like in poetry). The same is true with music videos, as they often suggest storylines or offer complex fragments in a non -linear order. In doing this the music video leaves the viewer with the desire to see it again, since they might have missed parts on the first viewing.
3. NARRATIVE THEORIST Steve Archer states: “Often, music videos will cut between a narrative and a performance of the song by the band. Additionally, a carefully choreographed dance might be a part of the artist’s performance or an extra aspect of the video designed to aid visualisation and the ‘repeatability’ factor. Sometimes, the artist (especially the singer) will be a part of the story, acting as narrator and participant at the same time. But it is the lip-synch close-up and the miming of playing instruments that remains at the heart of music videos, as if to assure us that the band really can kick it.” (2004)
4. TODOROV'S NARRATIVE THEORY <ul><li>Simple three part structure </li></ul><ul><li>Begin with an equilibrium </li></ul><ul><li>Agents of destruction cause disequilibrium </li></ul><ul><li>Resolution, which returns the protagonist to equilibrium </li></ul>
5. Kendrick Lamar – Trip & Todorov <ul><li>Our artist plays the role of the protagonist, he has the identity of an objective character </li></ul><ul><li>No disequilibrium or resolution </li></ul><ul><li>Could be said the protagonist is in a constant equilibrium throughout the video </li></ul><ul><li>A journey/progression of self discovery </li></ul><ul><li>No need for external influences on narrative. Personal “trip” the protagonist embarks on </li></ul>
6. Andrew Goodwin 6 Theories: <ul><li>Relationship between lyrics, visuals and music </li></ul><ul><li>Lyrics represented with images </li></ul><ul><li>The tone and atmosphere of visual reflects that of the music </li></ul><ul><li>Video built around the song that may not have a clear narrative </li></ul><ul><li>The demands of the record label will include the need for close ups of the artist and the artist may develop motifs which recur across their work </li></ul><ul><li>Illustrative, Amplifying, Contradicting or Disjunctive </li></ul>
7. Kendrick Lamar – Trip & Andrew Goodwin Theory <ul><li>Amplifying relationship between lyrics, music and visuals illustrating key meanings and constructing a narrative </li></ul>In our music video we have tried to create a story as we have used the lyrics to lead the narrative of the video and to link to the visual imagery throughout. We used the story line and lyrics to create the imagery in the video so that a strong link and sense of narrative is present.
8. Kendrick Lamar – Trip & Andrew Goodwin Theory <ul><li>Visuals edited to highlight changes which are coupled by the lyrics </li></ul><ul><li>The visuals and music are coupled </li></ul>Initially there is a link to the music and the visuals, as we have used the tempo and beat of the music to lead the animation in the video, this was key in the editing process, to make a smooth flowing video that mirrors the mood and atmosphere in the video.
9. Kendrick Lamar – Trip & Andrew Goodwin Theory <ul><li>The song has no clear narrative but the visuals create a journey which is observed while the song plays </li></ul><ul><li>Few close ups to keep the observant nature of the video. The audience are spectating the protagonists “trip” </li></ul><ul><li>Amplifying </li></ul>
10. Narrative Theorist <ul><li>Claude Levi-Strauss </li></ul><ul><li>This theory argues that meaning in narrative is based upon binary oppositions. </li></ul>In our music video this would relate in regards to the opposing situations he is in his life, ‘rags to riches’.