1. Mobile Social Networks
2. Social Networks Go Mobile
Consumer appetites for social data
and rich content will spike in the
next 12 months.
3. Media mobile communities and
user generated content (often
bracketed together as social
networking) will be worth $13.1
billion by 2011.
Source: Informa 2007
4. Personal locator services based on the
GPS-enabled mobile phone are
expected to grow from their current
small user-base of just over half a
million in North America to a total of
more than 20 million subscribers in
Source: ABI Research 2007
5. What is a mobile social network?
7. What are mobile social networks?
8. Business value of social networks
According Example The value of a Value E.g.
Sarnoff's broadcast Content 10
Metcalfe's computer transactions ~N2 100
Reed's law eBay, group #subnetworks
socially ~2N 1024
13. Social networks Vs. Dynamic Social Networks
14. What’s the Next Killer Device: iPod and
iPhone users are locked into a single
brand, a single service, a single source…
and that's not a good idea.
The emerging iPod killer will be a mobile
social network device that plays music.
15. Which social networks are you in?
16. The Meaning of Mobile Social Networks can change
17. Nature of Social Networks
–Densely-knit (most people directly
connected, once worked together or a
hobby group etc.)
–Tightly-bounded (most ties stay within,
b-school alumni etc.)
–Multistranded (most ties contain many
18. Barry Wellman on Social Networks
–Boundaries are permeable
–Interactions are with diverse others
–Connections switch between multiple
–Hierarchies can be flatter and recursive
19. Social Network Visualization