2. According to the census conducted in 2011, about 15.8% ofLithuanias population was composed of ethnic minorities:Ethnic groups Total populationCompared to allpopulation, %Total 3,043,429 100ethnic Lithuanians 2,561,314 84.2Poles 200,317 6.6Russians 176,913 5.8Belarusians 36,227 1.2Ukrainians 16,423 0.5Jews 3,050 0.1Tatars 2,793 0.09Germans 2,418 0.07Roma 2,115 0.07Latvians 2,025 0.06Armenians 1,233 0.04Azerbaijani 648 0.02Moldovans 540 0.01Georgian 372 0.01Estonian 314 0.01Karaites 241 0.008Other 3,508 0.1No response onthe ethnicity question32,978 1.1
3. Roma peopleRoma are a subgroup ofthe Romani people (alsoknown as Gypsies), wholive primarily in Centraland Eastern Europe.The main occupations ofRomes are trading,fortune-telling , dancingand singing.The cultural heritage ofRoma people enriches theLithuanian folklore .
4. A famousLithuanianshowman Radzi
5. A famousLithuanian Romapop group
6. A famous Lithuanian Roma pop group
7. JewishLithuania has a small Jewishcommunity of 4007 peopleaccording to the 2001 census.
8. • Lithuanian Jews are often called Litvaks.• Litvaks have an identifiable mode of pronouncingHebrew and Yiddish. Litvaks pronounce the vowel holamas [ej] (as against Sephardic [o ], Germanic [au] andːPolish [oj].• Litvaks are considered to be highly intellectual and stoic.• What is especially impressive-Litvaks are on the top inthe educational attainment among ethnic groups inLithuania: 45,6% of Lithuanian Jews had tertiaryeducation in 2001 (while the percentage of Lithuanianswith tertiary education was 22,6%).
9. "Gefilte Fish“ is a popular traditionalJewish dish
10. • The Hebrew alphabet , known variously byscholars as the Jewish script, square script,block script, or more historically, the Assyrianscript, is used in the writing of the Hebrewlanguage, as well as other Jewish languages,most notably Yiddish, Ladino, and Judeo-Arabic.
11. World famous litvaks:Benjamin NetanyahuPrime Minister of Israel.Ehud BarakLeader of Israel’s Labour Partyand Minister of Defence andDeputy Prime Minister inBinyamin Netanyahusgovernment.Roman ArkadyevichAbramovich -a Russianbusiness tycoon and the mainowner of the private investmentcompany Millhouse LLC. He isknown outside Russia as theowner of Chelsea FootballClub, an English PremierLeague football team.
13. • The Lipka Tatars (also known as Belarusian Tatars, Lithuanian Tatars, Polish Tatars,Lipkowie, Lipcani or Muślimi) are a group of Turkic-speaking Tatars who originallysettled in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania at the beginning of 14th century. The nameLipka is derived from the old Crimean Tatar name of Lithuania. The Crimean Tatarterm Lipka Tatarłar means Lithuanian Tatars.Tatar alphabet• Three scripts are currently used for the Tatar language: Arabic, Cyrillic and LatinSample text in Tatar in the Cyrillic alphabet• Барлык кешел р д азат м з абруйлары м хокуклары ягыннан ти бупыпә ә һә ү һә ңтуапар. Аларга акыл м в дан бирелг н м б р-б рсен карата туганнарчаһә өҗ ә һә ә ә әм нас б тт булырга тиешл р.ө ә ә ә әSample Tatar text in the Latin alphabet (Zamanälif)• Barlıq keşelär dä azat häm üz abruyları häm xoquqları yağınnan tiñ bulıp tualar. Alarğaaqıl häm wöcdan birelgän häm ber-bersenä qarata tuğannarça mönasäbättä bulırğatieşlärTranslation• All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowedwith reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit ofbrotherhood.(Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)Cyrillic version• The official Cyrilic version of the Tatar alphabet used in Tatarstan contains 39 letters:А Б В Г Д Е (Ё) Ж З И Й К Л М Н О П Р С Т У Ф Х Ц Ч Ш Щ Ъ Ы Ь Э Ю ЯӘ Җ Ң Ө Ү Һ
14. Tatar cuisine:Bäliş is the oldest traditional dish combiningmeat and grains.Pilaw is served at dinner parties- a traditionalmeal combining meat and noodlesqazılıq-sausage made of horse meat
15. Karaites• The Crimean Karaites or Karaims also knownas Karaim and Qarays, are ethnic groupderived from Turkic-speaking adherents ofKaraism in Eastern Europe Defined themselvesas originally centered in Crimea, Karaim wereestablished in Trakai (Troki), Lithuania andEastern Galicia from late medieval times.
16. KYBYN-The most famous Caraite culinary dish:half moon shaped pies of yeast dough with astuffing of cut into pieces beef or mutton meatbaked in Dutch or baking sheet.
17. • Karaim is a Kypchak Turkic language being closely related to CrimeanTatar, Armeno-Kipchak etc.• Currently only small minority of Karaim can speak Karaim Language( 70Crimean dialect speakers, 118 Trakai dialect speakers, and about 20Halych dialect speakers)ALPHABET• Originally the Hebrew alphabet was used for older, mostly religious texts.Later on, printed materials also appeared using Latin and Cyrillic scriptsbased on Polish, Russian and Ukrainian orthographies. Currently effortsare being made to introduce for Trakai Karaim a new orthographicalmanner based on Lithuanian.The samples of Trakai karaim words :• ńe üčuń why• javan soldier• ačy džanły sad• ačmaχ opening• ałej in this manner