What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing a product?
Camera Equiptment A problem that we had when using the camera equipment was the battery power had limited life which meant we often ran out of time when trying to record the film. This is bad because on our first recording session we ran out of time and barely had any shots to show for it. A strength we had with the camera equipment was the stand as it allowed us to take steady shots such as the 180 degree turn which would have been difficult to do if it was done by hand. Another problem we had with the camera equipment was when trying to book certain equipment we found a lack of equipment limited to just a stand and a camera as there was no others left.
Filming Process The filming went well however a problem we faced was when trying to shoot a shot we accidently left the stand in the shot, This was resolved by shooting this shot again. Another problem we faced was we had a lack of experience using the camera shot so we made a lot of mistakes in shooting. This was resolved by multiple retakes of certain shots so we could get the best shots we could for our film One thing that went particularly well in the filming process was the area was perfectly suitable for our scene. The reason for this was because we planned which area would be the best for our film prior to shooting. Another problem we had when filming was we spoke a lot during shots, which meant we had to delete the sound out of our film and create our own sounds in the film instead.
Editing Software The software that we used on our film was final cut as we felt that despite it being more difficult to use than Imovieit was better to use technically where editing is concerned. One thing that I disliked about Final Cut when using the software was when putting the film together it took ages to find the right shots. This was bad as it meant that we didn’t have as much time to spend on the editing as we would of perhaps liked. When editing the film on final cut I was particularly pleased with how easy it was to turn my film black and white. Although waiting for the film to render to black and white took more time than I liked the end result was superb as it completed no problem. I was also pleased with how I could cut certain parts of my clips to remove mistakes and shorten different shots. For example when in one of the shots the dead character was smiling and I was able to cut this part of the film out so that the film was more realistic.
Live type When creating the titles for my film I used Live type as it provided a range of different fonts and effects for the titles in my film. I was also able to preview these shots. This was effective as it allowed me to get a good idea of what they would look like in my film.
Garage band and You tube In order to include sound in our film we needed music and we made half of a song on garage band which was quite good however we found a song which was more suited to the flow of the film.
Prezi We chose Prezi for our initial ideas as we found it was more efficient for use rather than a PowerPoint presentation. When using Prezi I found that I was able to include a video of the opening sequence used in the film Se7en. This is effective as it reinforces that this film was one of the influences used when making our film. Another strength of using Prezi is that you can organise information to your own liking unlike Powerpoint where you only have so much room on each slide which can be annoying as you have to flick through the slides to see certain information. A weakness of Prezi is sometimes when you upload one of your own clips it is not always viewable. This is bad because it makes Prezi difficult to use.
Blogger This was a useful piece of internet software as it allowed us to view all of our work in one place and it also allowed our teacher to keep up to date of the work we had completed and what we hadn’t. This is effective as it allowed us to stay on track with our work.
Zamzar This was effective as it enabled us to download incidental sounds for us to use in our film. For example Detectives Laing's hair is blowing in the film and we used a wind sound to promote that the weather conditions were windy.
Photoshop Merged Image We used Photoshop to create our production logo, firstly what we did was use a plain black background to bring the contrast of the white text out. We used the black background with white text because we thought it would represent a film noir more because of the contrast of colours. What me and my partner did next was gather an image from the internet, the image was a classic film reel we then edited the image and placed it under the text as seen in the bottom photo were it is the second layer we then used the hard-light effect to create an older and darker feel to the image. As you can tell by the bottom image we used multiple layer which we then merged to make one image instead of a collection of different images. Multiple Layered Image