1. ORGANIZARTIONAL STUDY REPORTCUMI (KAKKANADU)NaveenMBASMBSMGU
3. Diverse businesses► Fertilizers & Pesticides, Engineering, Financial Services,Abrasives, Sugar, Farm Inputs, Textiles, Construction, Plantationsand more…….Worldwide Presence► 28 companies under its umbrella, of which seven are listed andactively traded in NSE & BSE► Over 40 Manufacturing facilities► Over 32,000 Employees
4. Family Tree
5. A Vellayan S Iyengar V RavichandranN Srinivasan D SatwalekarV ThyagarajanM.MurugappanS GaneshBOARD OF DIRECTORS
6. CarborundumUniversal,USAUniversalGrindingWheel ,UKDate of Incorporation: April 21, 1954∞ Business activity - manufacture of CoatedAbrasives, Bonded Abrasive, Super-Refractories, Electro-Minerals, IndustrialCeramics, and Ceramic Fibers∞ Exports its products to 43 countries∞ Over 20000 varieties of Products∞ 25 manufacturing locations across India,South Africa, Russia, Australia & China∞ All the manufacturing facilities ofCarborundum Universal are ISO 9001:2000and ISO 14001 Certified
7. Mr. M M MurugappanMr Subodh Kumar BhargavaMr T L Palani KumarMr Sridhar GaneshMr Shobhan ThakoreMr M LakshminarayanMr Sanjay JayavarthanaveluMr. K SrinivasanBOD
8. HISTORY1954• Incorporated as a joint venture between Carbarundum Company, USA/Universal GrindingWheel Company,UK and the Murugappa Group of India.1962• Bauxite Mining at Bhatia, Gujarat.1964• Bauxite Calcination plant at Okha, Gujarat.• Brown Fused Aluminium Oxide Grains plant at Edappilli, kerala.1984• Silicon Carbide plant at koratty, Kerala.1988• Silicon Carbide Micro Grit plant at koratty, Kerala.
9. 1994• Second unit at Edappilly for White/Brown fused Aluminium oxide Grains plant.1995• 12 MW Hydel Power Project at Maniyar, kerala.2004• Modern Silicon Carbide Micro Grit plant at koratty, Kerala.2007• Established of product Availability point, Venlo, Netherlands.• CUMI has entered into a binding MOU for the purchase of 84.14% of the ordinary shares ofVolzhsky Abrasives Works.2008• Expansion capacity of Silicon Carbide plant at koratty, Kerala.• Acquired 51% equity stake in Foskar Zirconia Ltd, Phalaborwa, South Africa.
10. International SubsidiariesCUMI AmericaCUMI AustraliaCUMI CanadaCUMI Middle EastFoskor Zirconia, South AfricaCUMI ChinaVolzhsky Abrasives Works, RussiaThailandUS
22. STRENGTHS• Raw materials• Flat organized structure• International tie ups• Automated Process• Process Line Flexibility• Educated and skilled force• Integrated process• Organizational climate• Power resource• co – operating environmentWEAKNESS• Financial policies• Low customers• No advertisement• Production depends up onEuropean marketsOPPORTUNITIES• Tapping overseas market• New marketsTHREATS• Expensive equipments• Fluctuation in demand• Power Tariff hike• Emploee AttritionSWOT
23. Technological Specifications• SCADASCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) generallyrefers to industrial control systems (ICS): computer systems thatmonitor and control industrial, infrastructure, or facility-basedprocesses• PLCA programmable logic controller (PLC) or programmablecontroller is a digital computer used for automation ofelectromechanical processes, such as control of machinery onfactory assembly lines, amusement rides, or light fixtures
24. CUMI follows TQM throug 5s
25. Recent Aquistions• June 20,2012cumi to buy RHI South African subsidiary• June 14CUMI tie-up with UK firms.
26. CUMI VISION 2020To be amongst the largest and most admiredAbrasives/Technical Ceramic in the World
27. To steadily improve EMD’s profitability andgrow aggressively in new products
28. AWARDS(CUMI KAKKANADU)• CII HR Excellence Awards for StrongCommitment to HR, 2009• KMA Manager of the Year Awards, 2011• Young Managers Awards of KMA in 2012• KMA Management Excellence Awards for itsCommitment towards CSR, 2012