• ≈ 200 MeV is released per ﬁssion
• Most of this becomes kinetic energy of ﬁssion
• A room temperature atom has about 1/40 eV
kinetic energy -- ﬁssion fragments have
400,000,000 times that energy!
• Punchline: ﬁssion fragments are hot
• Something that is radioactive
• Radiation is energy traveling
trough space (light,
microwaves, x-rays, gamma
• Radioactive materials decay
into non-radioactive materials
• Spent nuclear fuel becomes
less radioactive over time
Cooling Tower Reactor Containment
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.