1. Enabling Older People – Assistive Technologies, Devices & Products Ian Hosking, University of Cambridge Pavel Kubu (CZ) CEO Intel, Walter Buchinger, emporia
2. Enabling Older People – Assistive Technologies, Devices & Products Agenda: Who is …?Ian Hosking (UK), Senior Research Associate, University of Cambridge Pavel Kubu (CZ) CEO, Intel Walter Buchinger (AT), Senior Research Analyst, emporia Input Assistive Technology – mobile emergency function. Inclusive Design – from niche to normal. Your questions & discussion
3. Profile• developing mobile phones for the 50+ generation• family business since 1991, employing 130 people• represented EU-wide in 30 countries, America (North and South) to be deployed in 2012• demographic change essential for our market segment
4. A short example of Assistive Technology,Devices and Products …• The customer‘s situation• The solution
5. emporiaELEGANCEplus+S Mobile phone with special emergency function for mobile safety. Be mobile + aktive + safe!
6. the solution Unique product/service combination • Approved hardware – emergency button • Special software (direct link of mobile phone and primary control unit /call center) • professional network of T-Mobile- Austria – special elderly tarif • service- and support agreement with Samariterbund - professional help & safety
7. the solution benefits active alarm: • After pressing the black button (back side) – the primary control unit will be reached! Professional reaction – health data saved activity check: • Customer has not used mobile phone within the last 24 hours (a single button-pressure is sufficiant,…..)? Contact! Device check: • Test alarms in the background by SMS checking basic functions daily – no huzzle with technology! Information of relatives : • In case of emergency the hotline gets in contact with defined relatives – no stress!
8. R&D • Usability & likeabilty Tests • Cooperation with Universities of Cambridge & St. Gallen • MMI/UI workshops • Open innovation contests • Idea workshops
9. Emporia‘s roadmap - connecting generations! M-Health Smartphone/ Easy touch Multimedia for elderies E-Mail for granny
10. Ian Hosking “It is normal to be different!” Inclusive Design – from niche to normal.
11. Ian Hosking “We face an unprecedented demand on social and healthcare services. Mobile technology has the potential to play a key role in addressing this challenge. Often phones and smartphones are seen as the ideal platform for providing services in this area. We have to understand the specific needs and issues faced by older users to realize this potential! Today people who would benefit the most from such services are the least able to access them.” Which underlying problems do older people experience? How can these can be addressed? e.g. turning a phone on, complexity of menu systems and touch interfaces.”