1. L is for Library: The Wiki National Library Project Minerva 2011 16/11/11
2. Who We Are• The National Library of Israel, a 120-old institution• In charge of collecting, preserving, cultivating and endowing (or distributing) the cultural heritage of the Jewish People and Israeli State’s Citizens• 4 Main collections: Judaica, Israel, Islam & Muslim world, as well as a general humanities collection
3. Why GLAM (or: a fishing primer)• NLI intends to digitize a whole lot of ‘stuff’• Stuff = books, newspapers, personal archives, photographs, audio…• Intends to make these ‘as accessible as possible’ (we’ll get to that, later)• Want to ‘fish where the fish are’
4. What Wikipedians Need• “Better slippers”:Rare Books & Archival HistoricManuscripts Documents photographs Historic Newspapers Ephemera Maps• In our case – access to more ‘stuff’
5. Current Digital Collections
6. GLAM Wiki NLI• PjM’s rule no. 1: “Before revolutionizing – do a pilot!”• Select a collection as a pilot – Digitize… – Release under CC-BY-SA 3.0 License – Use materials to create Wikipedia articles, encourage re-use, sharing – And link back to the NLI – Enrich NL’s metadata??
7. Our Pilot • A collection of portraits of about 3,000 persons (sometimes more than one per person) • Mostly out-of-© • About 60% digitized GnessinEdward Glazer Baron Hirsch
8. What Don’t Wikiepedians Get?
9. Our Larry Abramson?
10. Excited about GLAM Wiki, yet?• Starting on December• Wikipedian-in-Residence recruited to help!• “In charge of” releasing the collection, encouraging re-use, linking back to us (and more!)• A 3-6 month timeframe
11. …The © Thing, Again• As mentioned, most of the material here is out-of- ©• Making sure © is not infringed on is hard work• Contradictory goals: – Making accessible/reusable as much as possible – Still retaining NLI “benefit of ownership”• Exactly what pilots are for!
12. This is just the beginning! See you soon, and ON! http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM