Michelle - Using imovie in a media classPresentation Transcript
My inquiry was looking into why I-movie is
a useful tool to use in the classroom and
how can it be done.
I wanted to use this as a tool to encourage
and develop children’s skills and give them
a meaningful context for their learning.
What resources did i
• Marilyn Small
• Alex Mason
• Beth lamb
• Many, many websites
• Big 6
What is I-movie
• I-movie is a simple movie making tool
which can be used to combine photos,
video content and music to create high
• I-Movie is a video editing software
application which allows Mac users to
edit their own home movies. It was
originally released by Apple in 1999
• It is simple to use.
• It has plenty of online support and effective help
• It is fast to learn the basics and a challenge to
• Its one of the best editing movie makers for kids.
• It provides many learning opportunities prior to
How to use I-Movie
• When i started this position, i had never
used I-movie, though in the past i had
used movie maker (highschool)
• So i had to learn from scratch all the
awesome things this tool can do.
• So i have compiled the basics into a
small I-Movie tutorial (using I-movie)
What other Apple tools
link well with I-movie?
• Garage band
• I can animate
• I photo
the Big 6
• I used the Big 6 as a key
• This was a good scaffold
for students work and got
them using their brains
WHat beneﬁts does the
i-movie process provide
• Communication skills
• Team skills
• Problem solving
• ICT skills
What are more of the
beneﬁts of I movie
• It gives students an interesting and meaningful context for their
• Students relate to ﬁlm as they spend hours a day watching and
interacting with TV and ﬁlm.
• It allows students to develop many communication tools.
• Encourages writing
• Encourages critical thinking
• It is an innovative and creative way for students to get their own ideas
and thoughts out into the world.
I-Movie in the Classroom
• This is a great tool to get students to
• It allows students different gifts and
talents to be used and identiﬁed.
• The material is able to
• be kept and treasured.
What can you Do?
• Music videos
• Informative ﬁlms
Across the Curriculum
• English- presentations, literacy
• Maths - How to tutorials
• PE/Health - sports events, skill lessons
• Science - How to tutorials, explanations
• Social Studies - research presentations
• Maori - informative lessons, how to
• The Arts - presenting art work, show cases
• It provides students with an oportunity
to complete a full process as a team.
• Boosting students communication
• Allowing students to learn to solve
problems as a team.
• To share each others talents, passions
• Students are encouraged to discuss
• They are provided with opportunities
to reﬂect on their achievements so far
and where to next.
• It allows them to develop their
• Poetry - illustrate a poem.
• Story - tell a story and animate using claymation.
• Communication - express ideas through drama.
• Interview people - writing questions and script.
• The options are endless - be creative!
The I movie learning
implications for the
• This give another way for children to present their learning.
• It allows children to learn how to co-operate and work in groups
to complete tasks.
• Students can use a tool which is something they relate to in
• Allows them to have a meaningful content
• Something they can use which can be
shared with others.
Linking home to school
• There is a media lab blog which is added to as
regularly as possible describing what the students
are working on.
• The students work is created with a sub goal to be
appropriate for the audiance of Pukeko Echo -
which can mean that the content can be seen by
whanau and the community.
• A future prospect of ﬁlm festival for
all ﬁlms created.
• Using Imovie in the classroom is an interesting
and creative way for children to be able to get
involved with learning.
• There are so many options as to what you can
do with it that the limits are your own mind.
• But just think... your mind may have a limit but
the childrens’ combined can open up a whole
• I movie in Teacher education
• Using iMovie: Literacy Alive in the K Classroom
• Education today