1. Tech Talk Tuesday Student Leadership and Digital Citizenship Mark Richardson!ICT Coordinator, Williamstown PS!Attribution http://blog.rozee.pk/2010/05/12/effective-team-leader/ & http://icon-king.com!
2. Ice Breaker !•  Describe what student leaders do in your school!
3. Student Leadership and Digital Citizenship A 21st Century Learning Approach byDEECD, Western Metropolitan Region, Hobson’s Bay Network. Attribution http://blog.rozee.pk/2010/05/12/effective-team-leader/ & http://icon-king.com!
4. Student Leadership and Digital Citizenship The Pedagogical ModelAttribution http://blog.rozee.pk/2010/05/12/effective-team-leader/ & http://icon-king.com!
5. The Model: Kids Teaching Kids Pedagogy!The Kids Teaching Kids Learning Model isunique. It is inspired by the LearningPyramid* that shows students mightonly retain 5% of knowledge throughlecture and other traditional learningstyles. In contrast, students retain formore - up to 90% - through teachingothers.!At the heart of Kids Teaching KidsLearning Model is a belief that peereducation is one of the most effectiveways to encourage students to takeresponsibility for their learning andactions.! •  http://www.kidsteachingkids.com.au/kids-teaching-kids/learning-model.html!
6. Student Leadership and Digital Citizenship What is Student Leadership? Attribution http://blog.rozee.pk/2010/05/12/effective-team-leader/ & http://icon-king.com!
7. What is Student Leadership? ! What are participant opinions?!
8. What is student leadership?! Student leadership encompasses the school s provision of:!•  formal and informal learning opportunities which develop the competency of individuals as leaders and effective participants.!•  processes and structures for student representation and the incorporation of students views into decision making and the life of the school. " " The development of student leadership skills involves opportunities which encourage students to:!•  act in roles of responsibility with integrity and honesty.!•  foster a sense of vision and purpose.!•  work with others to determine and achieve collective goals.!•  take on responsibilities and use decision making skills in order to carry a project through to a successful conclusion.!•  be active, reﬂective listeners who respond effectively.!•  earn the respect of others through their actions.!•  http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/studentsupport/studleadsrc/studlead/primary/framework.php!
9. Student Leadership and Digital Citizenship Why Is Student Leadership Important?Attribution http://blog.rozee.pk/2010/05/12/effective-team-leader/ & http://icon-king.com!
10. Why is Student Leadership Important? ! What are participant opinions?!
11. Six reasons why student involvement and student voice makes sense!•   Educational values: valuing the learning that results when we !engage the !capacities of the multiple voices in our schools.!•   Community values: school communities characterised by !collaborative, aspirational, optimistic and high challenge cultures. !•  Rights: students are a signiﬁcant voice in schools. !•   Social responsibilities: young people have rights and responsibilities now enshrined in.!•  International law !•   Legitimacy: the authenticity of student perspectives about learning and !school community .!•   Pragmatics: if students are not allowed to change what they do, then we will never transform learning. [Jackson, 2005].!
12. Student Leadership and Digital CitizenshipWhat were the features of the modules? Attribution http://blog.rozee.pk/2010/05/12/effective-team-leader/ & http://icon-king.com!
13. Module One – " CyberSafety!The Task:!How can your team provide leadership at yourschool so that everyone in your school communitycan be aware of and use the Internet safely?!!•  http://ictedservices.typepad.com/icted_services/ 2011/07/students-as-elearning-leaders-project.html!
14. Module Two -"! Leadership in the Digital World !!The Task:!How can your team provide leadership at yourschool so that everyone in your school communityparticipates in the digital world, safely, responsiblyand ethically?!!http://ictedservices.typepad.com/icted_services/2011/11/students-as-elearning-leaders-project-leadership.html!
15. Module Features !• Organised the WMR, Hobson’s Bay Network, Students as eLearning !Leaders Project Team.!•  Facilitators from HB Network schools, Ultranet coach, RNL & NIC!•  20 Netbooks provided by Dell [with eduSTAR image].!•  Teams of 4 students from 5 - 6 schools.!•  5 half day sessions over 2 - 3 months.!•  In between sessions tasks for students to complete in their schools.!•  Guest speaker from DEECD eLearning Branch - Ty Hoggins].!•  Hosted at Hobson’s Bay Network PD Centre.!
16. More Module Features!•  Facilitators collaborated in between session by F2F meetings, Elluminate and Google Docs.!•  Overview document sent to participating schools.!•  Schools signed commitment and nomination of a [teacher or principal] leader in each school.!•  Some 2011 participating students to launch Session One of 2012 using Elluminate.!•  All participating students to have a working Ultranet log in and password. !•  Project Team to look setting up a Project Collaborative Space before program starts.
17. Key Applications & Websites! From the eduSTAR image! ! Movie Maker! Movie Maker! ! ! Freemind! GIMP! ! ! MS Ofﬁce! Nvu! ! ! Photo Story! !From the Internet!!Survey Monkey! Ultranet!!
18. What skills were we looking for from our Student eLearning Leaders at the start?!•  Communication skills.!•  Thinking / Planning skills.!•  ICT Competencies.!•  Collaboration Skills.!•  Mentoring Abilities.!•  Good Listeners.!•  Decision Makers.!•  Project Management Skills.!
19. Leadership in the Digital World – " In Detail!!The Task:!!How can your team provide leadership at yourschool so that everyone in your schoolcommunity participates in the digital world,safely, responsibly and ethically?!
20. The Skills & the Rubrics!!Students where expected to demonstrate thefollowing skills throughout the sessions:!!• ICT Skills.!• Leadership Abilities.!• Collaborative Abilities.!!
21. What speciﬁc ICT skills are we looking " students to develop in the module?!•  Planning an ICT project.!•  Working safely in a digital world.!•  Data collection and analysis.!•  Video pre-production / production / post-production.!•  Using the Ultranet Collaborative Spaces.!•  Investigating online identities.!•  Evaluating an ICT project.!
22. ICT Skills Rubric!ICT Skill! Good ! Better ! Best!Video! Understands basic Can work with others Can work with others video pre-production, to plan, shoots and to plan, shoots and production and post- edits an appropriate edits great video that production! video that enhance enhance some part of some part of the task! the task! !Ultranet! Can login in the Can join the Adds content to the Ultranet! Collaborative Space of Collaborative Space of the module! the module!Web 2.0! Can work with others Can work with others Can work with others on one Web 2.0 on a number of Web on all the Web 2.0 application such as 2.0 applications applications presented Survey Monkey! presented in the in the module! module! ! !
23. What leadership abilities are we lookingstudents to develop during the module?!•  Listening and investigation skills.!•  Decision making skills.!•  Feedback skills.!•  Action and organisation skills.!•  Evaluation skills.!•  Modiﬁcation of decisions and actions.!
24. Leadership Abilities Rubric!Leadership ability! Good ! Better ! Best!Planning and Can organise an online Can organise an online Can collect data fromOrganisation! survey or video survey and video school through survey interviews! interviews! and video. Interviews ! ! teachers and school leaders!Action and Support! Plans some action from Plans some action from Plans some action from above! above by analysing data above by analysing data and providing the school and providing the school with useful content! with useful content. ! Supports the implementation of the program!Feedback and Asks questions and gives Asks questions and gives Asks questions and givesevaluation! feedback! feedback. Modiﬁes feedback. Modiﬁes actions in light of actions in light of feedback! feedback. Can ! demonstrate that leadership has caused change at the school.!
25. What collaborative abilities are welooking to develop during the module?!•  Task discussion – what do we have to do?!•  Task allocation – who is doing it?!•  Task timeline – when is it to be ﬁnished?!•  Task support – what help is needed?!•  Task evaluation – how is the task going?!•  Task feedback – is it positive or negative?!•  Task modiﬁcation – do changes need to be made?!
26. Collaborative Abilities Rubric!Collaborative ability! Good ! Better ! Best!Team organisation! Team members have Team members have a Team members have a different jobs! variety of jobs based on variety of jobs based on talents. Team members talents. Team members get the opportunity to get the opportunity to learn new tasks! learn new tasks. Leaders ! make decisions while considering the views of others!Work practices, Work patterns OK! Evidence of some Evidence of muchtime management! Most work completed on preparation in between preparation in between time! school sessions. Work school sessions. Work tasks generally tasks always completed completed at a steady at a steady rate and on rate and on time.! time.!Evaluation, Sometimes shares and Usually shares and Always shares andmodiﬁcation and reﬂects at the Alaona PL reﬂects at the Altona PL reﬂects at the Altona PLfeedback! sessions! sessions. Gives feedback sessions. Gives feedback to other groups! to other groups. Makes ! modiﬁcations to own work in light of feedback.! !
27. What eLearning themes will the students explore?!•  Creating Resources for their classes back at school.!•  Creating Online Content, [Ultranet etc.].!•  Creating ICT tutorials for other students.!•  Exploring EduSTAR applications.!•  Action / Solution Learning.!•  Virtual Classrooms.!•  Linking back to their fellow students, teachers and " school communities [F2F or online].!
28. What Leadership themes will the " students explore?!•  What is leadership? !•  How do you inﬂuence others to adopt a new idea or program?!•  How do you troubleshoot problems?!•  How do you know whether you are a successful leader or not?!•  How do you celebrate successes?!
29. Session Content and School Follow Up.!Input and tasks for students involved in the activity at Altona PL Centre.! In between tasks back at school.!
30. Leadership in the Digital World Module! !Session 1# In school Session 2! In school ! component! ! component!Altona PL Centre! Altona PL Centre! !Session 3! Session 4! ! In school ! In schoolAltona PL Centre! component! Altona PL Centre! component! ! !Session 5! Reporting ! back to Celebration!Altona PL Centre! ! school!
31. Leadership in the Digital World – Part 1! What is leadership in a In school digital world ?! component! Session 1!• Icebreaker.!• Introduce 2011 participants using • Data collection using FlipElluminate.! cameras.!• What is leadership is a digital world?! • What is their school doing to• The task.! foster good digital citizenship? !• Skill tutorials: Ultranet Blogs, wikis • Interviewing students.!and MovieMaker.! • Interviewing teachers.!• Ultranet- Collaborative space! • Interviewing principals.!• Group planning.!
32. Leadership in the Digital World – Part 2! How do you inﬂuence others to adopt a new idea In school Session 2! or program?! component!• Share time / reﬂection of task.!ª Discuss ways of inﬂuencing people.! • Gathering more data using• Skill tutorials: SurveyMonkey, Prezi.! SurveyMonkey.!• Higher order questioning [Bloom’s • Testing ideas.!Digital Taxonomy].! • Discussion / interviews with• Video - practice interviews.! teachers / principals about• Begin creating the content for survey the task.!interviews.!
33. Leadership in the Digital World – Part 3! How do you troubleshoot Session 3! problems?! In school component!• Share time / reﬂection about the task.!• Guest speaker.!ª Discuss ways of troubleshooting • Negotiate with teachersproblems.! and principals how this• Tutorials: Saving and converting ﬁles, content will be used at theAccessing help online, Poll Everywhere, school when completed.!Todays Meet, Tagxedo.!• Workshop time creating task anyrelated content.!
34. Leadership in the Digital World – Part 4! How do you know whether In schoolSession 4! you have been a successful leader?! component!•  Share time / reﬂection about the task.!• How do you evaluate your leadership • Finish off any tasks notsuccess?! completed [data• Tutorials: catch up or revision of thosenot taken yet.! collection, interviews• Workshop time creating any task and content related torelated content.! the task].!.!
35. Leadership in the Digital World – Part 5! How has what you have Reporting Session 5! done impacted on your back at school?! school!• Share time / reﬂection about the task.! • Reporting to• How do you evaluate your impact back at school community!school?! • Students to• Tutorials: Virtual Worlds – Avatars and Meez.! record, content,• Finish content.! recollections and• Final preparation of report back to school evaluations of the[students, teachers, principals] and celebration of Ultranet.!task.!
36. Leadership in the Digital World - Celebration!Celebration!• Reiterating the Task.!• Sharing of data and workshop content.!• Shared with teachers, principals, regional staff and parents / carers.!• Questions and discussion of work completed.!• Local press, Inspire etc. invited.!
38. Contact Mark!•  Email email@example.com!•  Blog http://ictedservices.typepad.com!•  Twitter @ictedservices!