3. (January 12, 1876 – November 22, 1916)<br /> He was born in San Francisco, California.<br />His full name was John Griffith London.<br />He was one of the first Americans to make a lucrative career exclusively from writing.<br />He taught himself in the public library, mainly just by reading books.<br />
4. <ul><li> His socialism was fervent, but countered</li></ul> by his strong drive toward individualism<br /> and capitalist success.<br /><ul><li> In 1885 he found and read Ouida’s long</li></ul> Vicorian novel “Signa”. He credited this <br /> as the seed of his literary success.<br /><ul><li> He considers himself an admirer of Nietzsche, but also an “intellectual enemy”.</li></li></ul><li><ul><li> The poet George Sterling was his best friends. In London’s letters, he addressed Sterling as “Greek”.
5. He got married twice. His first wife was considered a “Mother-woman”. His second wife was considered a “Mate-woman.”</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>His exciting, often violent and brutal writing style attracted readers from all over the world.
6. London wrote in a Naturalist style, in which a story’s actions and events are caused mainly by man’s internal biological needs.
7. He died of Uremia at the age of 40, but many sources describe it as a suicide.</li></li></ul><li>SETTING<br />
8. <ul><li>The action of this story takes place in Santa Clara, a city in the U.S. state of California.
9. The feeling that is created at the beginning of the story is a little sad.</li></li></ul><li>CHARACTERS<br />
10. <ul><li>Loretta: She is the protagonist. She is young, she has blue eyes, she is a delicate woman, innocent and sweet.
11. Billy: He is Loretta’s ex-boyfriend. He has a kind of psychiatric pathology. He is obsessive and nervous.</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Edward Bashford: He is the one who pretend Loretta. He is artistically a tired Greek. He is jaded and worn. He is fond of quoting from Nietzsche.
12. Daisy: She is Loretta’s older sister. She is compassionate, caring, brilliant and mature.</li></li></ul><li><ul><li>Captain Kitt: He is Daisy’s husband. He is clever and helpful.
13. Mrs. Hemingway: She is clever and scoffer.
14. Mr. Hemingway: He is Mrs. Hemingway’s Husband.</li></li></ul><li>PLOT<br />
15. This is a story about a girl called Loretta who went visiting Santa Clara, the place where her older sister (Daisy) lives with his husband (Captain Kitt), because she had broken with Billy, the one who she was going to marry with. Captain Kitty had the idea that Loretta should visit to Mrs. Hemingway and her husband, Jack Hemingway; in that way, she was going to be away from Billy and near Daisy. <br />
16. There, Mrs. Hemingway had a plan. She wrote a letter to Mr. Edward Bashford where she talked about the innocence of Loretta. Her objective was that Loretta and Edward had a relationship. <br />In Mrs. and Mr. Hemingway’s house, Loretta was the centre of things, everything was all right; but one day, she received a letter from Billy, one of too many he had sent her during her staying in Santa Clara. <br />
17. This letter was somewhat different from the others, it made her weep immediately. It worried Mr.,Mrs. Hemingway and Edward. So, Edward went to her and closed little by little, until she told him she was a really WICKED WOMAN. So, he removed far away little by little, he was very confused and asked her a lot of questions about it. <br />
18. Finally she told him something that according to Billy made her marry him, and she didn’t want to do it because she didn’t love him. Loretta had kissed Billy, and he said that she had to marry him because of that, it was the custom. Finally Edward told her that it wasn’t true. He asked her for marrying him and kissed her.<br />
19. THEME<br />
20. <ul><li>Beinginnocentmakespeopletakeadvantage of you.</li></li></ul><li>COMMENTS<br />
21. This story is that kind of story that in not that you expect. When you see the title ”A WICKED WOMAN” you imagine that the story will be developed as a devil way because the word WICKED is synonymous of bad behaviors, and this way you begin imagining who will be the woman with devil spirit. <br />
22. But, just when you finished to read you discover that when someone says “ the appearances deceive your eyes”, that is completely true because this wicked woman was of the old school, and that she thought that was really a bad action, just was an action that nowadays is entirely normal<br />