2. Characterization The people and animals in a storyare the characters. Authors give youclues about what the characters arelike. Think about what the writer tellsyou about the characters in a story.It will help you understand the storybetter.
3. CharacterizationSome words that authors use to describecharacters are: bossy helpful scared brave honest happy careful kind neat friendly proud mean hard-working shy nice funny wise angry
4. Characterization Example: Ben helped his mother in the store. He put boxes on the shelf. He didn’t drop any boxes. Mr. Kirk left some money at the store. Ben followed him outside to give him the money.What words would you use to tell about Ben?
5. Characterization Example: Tippy had a bone. A bigger dog wanted it. Tippy was afraid. She stood over her bone and barked. The big dog ran away. Tippy was glad she hadn’t lost her bone.What words would you use to tell about Tippy?
6. CharacterizationExample: Amy kept her library books together on ashelf. She put away all her toys carefully.Amy was very… upset neat mean
7. CharacterizationExample: Joe’s friend Tom laughed a lot. He alwayshad a smile on his face. Tom was a ___________person. surprised naughty happy
8. CharacterizationExample: Lisa’s little brother hid her skates under thebed. He hid her favorite book. He was being________________. calm naughty nice
9. CharacterizationExample: When Erin needed help, Mother always knewhow to help. Erin’s mother was very________________. wise funny angry
10. CharacterizationExample: David read all the books about the forestthat he could find. He also talked with the forestrangers to learn more.David was ____________________. gentle curious scared