Embracing Web 2.0 & Turning on
the Lights for E-Commerce
18th June 2009
Turning on the Lights for E-Commerce
• Parker Software Introduction
• Understanding Consumer Behaviour with Web
• Online Customer Acquisition / Sales
– Live Visitor Tracking
• Improving Website ROI
• Parker Software based in the UK. Established in
2003, Parker Software develops innovative Windows based
software aimed at companies that do business on the web.
• Our two main products are:
WhosOn, a tool for monitoring web site visitor activity in
real time and Email2DB, a tool for integrating incoming
emails with business processes.
• We are a privately held company. All our software products
are owned, developed & supported by us from our office in
Web analytics is the measurement, collection, analysis
and reporting of internet data for purposes of
understanding and optimising web usage.
Web analytics measure a visitor's journey once on your
website. This includes its drivers and conversions; for
example, which landing pages encourage people to
make a purchase.
Web analytics measures the performance of your site
- to become more usable, relevant and efficient
How Many of you use analytics?
What gains have you made?
4 Key Questions
• How did your visitors arrive?
– Is your site on target
– Customer intent
– Marrying URL’s
• What are visitors looking for?
– Analytics can tell you what people are seeking not
just what they’ve found
– Cart Abandonment Rate
• Where are visitors landing / bouncing &
– Multiple homepages
– Call to action
– What Interests you customers
• What are your website’s trends over time?
– Seasonal Trends
Understand Your Web Traffic
• What are the paths to purchase?
• Where are people leaving your site?
• Knowing this means changes can be made to
guide people to the desired result
• Have Clarity of Purpose
• Keep the Journey Simple
• Minimise Customer Choice
• Capture Data Quickly
Historical Data – Time For Change
Can you rely on historical data?
– Google Analytics
• You can launch a campaign and make rapid
changes if you see that things aren't working
• Monitor Visitors in Real Time
Live Visitor Tracking
• Live Statistics – Visitor arrival (landing page)
through to page views
• Identification of referrers
• Strip out spiders & bots – Human Traffic
• Notifications of Types of Visitor
• Monitor Multiple Sites
• Remote View
• Alerts of Page Errors Real-Time
• Historical Data
• CRM Integration
Web Analytics / Online Engagement
Web Analytics has two core components
Discovery - current performance and potential
Optimisation -acting on the results to fix the
So how do you engage these visitors? How are
you currently engaging your online visitors?
2009 - E Consultancy Survey
• 77% (3/4 of Respondents) said that the
importance of online engagement had
increased in the last 12 month, whilst one in
nine said that online engagement was now
either ‘essential’ or ‘important’ to their
• What is online engagement? & How can it be
• Delivering an Experience
• Keep Momentum
• Maintain Excitement
• Instil Confidence
• Confirm its the Right Choice
• Content is Crucial
• Usability is a Necessity
Two Way Process
• E-Retailers realise its not just one way traffic
many now accept user input
• E-Retailers now accept customer
• Understand customers needs in real-time
• Leads to increased conversion
• Moving away from a storefront and becomes a
forum for two-way conversations
What the Experts Say
In this current economic climate, companies are finding that their
online strategy will be vital in keeping their customers engaged.
Increasing long-term customer value and providing them with
quality rather than quantity will be of highest importance. Finding
a way to speak to your customers on a more individual level will
mean greater satisfaction and loyalty.
The most valuable customers you can have are those who know you
have made an effort to speak to them directly, and will happily
recommend your product/service to their friends, colleagues and
Live Chat A Two Way Process
• Enables Visitors to engage directly with you (or vice versa)
• Real Time Communication
• Provide Assistance or Help
• Visitors Identify you as a Real Company
• Quickest way for Visitors to get information they need
about a Product/Service
• Helps sales conversion, improve customer satisfaction and
• Widen Markets (Translation)
• Lower Support Costs
• Lower Overheads
• Reduce Customer Waiting Times
Behaviour of an Engaged Customer
• recommends product, service or brand
• They are more likely to convert more readily
• They purchase regularly
• They are less likely to switch supplier
You must develop a deeper understanding of
your online business to make it work and you
must guide your customers through the
experience remember the Internet is not tactile.
You must work harder with than ever to capture
the hearts and minds that will decide on the
success or failure of your website strategy