Be the first to like this
A detailed presentation on 17000 ft foundation's100 Libraries Program in Ladakh, India.
The Library Program aims to make every child in every government primary school in Ladakh a member of a library and bring in methodologies to ensure that they are reading well. To this end, the goals of the program are:
• Provide support to institutionalize, structure, co-ordinate and organize sustainable library services for every child in all government primary schools in Ladakh
• Provide quality resources (books, computers, innovative learning activities) in these libraries
• Create tools to measure the impact of the program - both process data and child assessment data are collected and analyzed
• To make the results of the program available in the public domain on MapMySchool
• Once the libraries have been established and have been running successfully for some time, hand over the libraries to the Education Department who can sustain the program
• To document the efforts to enable replication in other parts of the state and indeed in other states and countries, wherever there are remote schools
17000 ft sets up libraries with colourful, engaging, age appropriate books, in English and Hindi, largely from domestic publishers. Books are chosen keeping in mind the reading abilities of the children, and emphasis is laid on picture books, locally relevant content and also books which provide exposure to the outside world. 17000 ft libraries consist not only of easy reading and fiction books, but also have reference books, subject exposure books, encyclopedias, dictionaries, atlases etc., to aid the child in his academic curriculum. The libraries will also be equipped with stimulating games and art and craft material to engage the child.
Each library is fitted with a colourful rack designed and fabricated here at our Head Office in Delhi and shipped to Leh. The racks have been designed to fit and be useful only for the purpose that it is intended for, keeping pilferage and misuse to a minimum.
Our Libraries are Active Libraries and are designed to be fun, engaging and interactive places for children to read, imagine and get immersed in. Our Libraries will be kept “Active” by our Facilitators who will conduct periodic reading, story-telling and activity programs in each and every school. They will also manage the library, putting systems in place to monitor and assess our programs. Our Facilitators, local Ladakhi youth themselves, will largely be chosen from these villages and will also have the enviable opportunity of contributing back to their own villages.
Be the first to like this