View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
VINAYAKA MISSIONS UNIVERSITY
V.M.K.V. ENGINEERING COLLEGE, SALEM
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
PART-A (2 Marks)
1. Define the term environment.
2. Define ecosystem.
3. Name the two broad classifications of the environment?
4. What do you mean by ecological pyramid?
5. Mention the various ecological factors that affect the sustainable development.
6. Enumerate the structural and functional elements of ecosystem.
7. Draw a neat diagram to illustrate the interrelationship among the water, air and land
8. Write the components of environment?
9. Give one example for producers, consumers and decomposers in an ecosystem?
10. What are the four segments of earth’s environment?
11. What are the major constituents of earth’s atmosphere?
12. Name the four important biogeochemical cycles in the ecosystem.
13. How is food web advantageous over food chain?
14. What is food chain? Give example.
15. What is known as tropic level?
16. Define biogeochemical cycle.
17. What are the functions of a hydrological cycle?
18. Mention few natural calamities that affect the ecosystem.
19. What are consumers?
20. Whether the energy flow is a reversible reaction?
21. Define sustainable development.
22. Give a few words about hydrological cycle.
23. What is sedimentary cycle?
24. Draw the nitrogen cycle.
25. Write the components of hydrosphere.
PART-B (12 Marks)
1. Discuss in detail about (a) Lithosphere (b) Hydrosphere (c) Atmosphere
2. With typical examples explain the interrelationship between the components and
subcomponents of the environment.
3. Describe the various components of ecosystem structure.
4. Write a detailed note on development and evolution of ecosystem.
5. Explain with a neat diagram of different zones of the earth’s atmosphere and
6. Explain carbon and nitrogen cycles as applicable to ecosystem.
7. State and explain in detail about the various human activities and their impact on the
8. Explain phosphorus and sulphur cycles as applicable to ecosystem.
9. Explain the structure and functional components of an ecosystem in a brief manner.
10. Describe the energy flow in ecosystem and the factors which are controlling it.
Part –A (2 Marks)
1. Give one example for sustainable development.
2. What is Rio de Janeiro conference agreement?
3. Define sustainable development
4. Define sustainability.
5. What are the characteristics of a sustainable development?
6. Mention the few types of pollution.
7. What are the impacts of man made pollution?
8. Give examples on water borne diseases.
9. What are the major issues of sustainable development?
10. Define air pollution.
11. Define water pollution.
12. Mention a few natural sources of pollution.
13. Correlate Global warming with reference to CO2 concentration in air.
14. What is the goal of environmental protection?
15. What are the various quality objectives of air?
16. Mention any two environmental impacts of developmental project in your discipline.
17. Mention the environmental impact of high sodium content in soil.
18. What are the causes for air pollution?
19. How will you rectify water pollution?
20. What is acid rain?
21. Define Green house effect.
22. What are the gases responsible for green house effect?
23. How is ozone layer depleted?
24. Name the toxic metals which cause water pollution?
25. What are the toxic metals which cause air pollution?
Part-B (12 Marks)
1. Explain the various physical properties of soil owing to the impacts on land
2. Briefly explain how natural calamities disturb the environment.
3. Explain natural and man made impacts on environment.
4. Briefly explain the sustainable development.
5. Describe in detail about effects of water pollution on environment.
6. Write in detail about the influence of air pollution.
7. In a detailed manner discuss the land pollution and its effects.
8. Explain the factors which develop the environment.
9. Discuss the science of environment with attention to your branch of engineering.
10. Discuss briefly about the environmental impacts on marine habitat.
Part-A (2 Marks)
1. Define sewerage system?
2. Mention types of sewerage system?
3. What are the components of sewerage system?
4. What are the tests involved in chemical analysis of sewerage?
5. What are the tests involved in physical analysis of sewerage?
6. Define pH value?
7. Define dissolved oxygen?
8. Mention about sewerage decomposition?
9. What are the different methods involved in sewerage population forcasting?
10. Define run-off process?
11. Mention the types of sewerage characterization?
12. What are the principles of sanitation?
13. Write short notes on minimum size of sewer.
14. What are the advantages of circular shape of sewer?
15. Write short notes on stone ware or vitrified clay pipes.
16. Define the term Design Period.
17. Write short notes on maximum velocity in sewer
18. What are the various gradients present in sewer lines?
19. What are the requirements of good sewer joint?
20. Define manhole.
21. What are the various methods adopted for the ventilation of sewers?
22. What are the precautions to be taken while cleaning sewers?
23. What is meant by the term Per Capita Demand?
24. What are the objects served by the manhole?
25. Enumerate the sources of wastewater.
Part-B (12 Marks)
1. Describe in detail the water demand for the public water supply system.
2. Write about estimation of storm runoff sewerage water?
3. Explain design period and population forecasting in sewerage system.
4. Write about characterization of water quality.
5. The following is the population data of a city, available from past censes records.
Determine the population of the city in 2021 by
a. Arithmetical increase method.
b. Geometrical increase method.
c. Incremental increase method.
YEAR 1931 1941 1951 1961 1971 1981 1991
POPULATION(P) 12000 16500 26800 41500 57500 68000 74100
6. Explain effluent standard.
7. Explain characterization and composition of sewerage and their significant.
8. Write about sources of water and water demand.
9. Describe in detail about the water carriage system
10. In a town, it has been decided to provide 200litres / head / day of water. Estimate the
domestic water requirements of this town in the year 2010 by projecting the
population of the town by the incremental increase method from the data given below.
Part-A (2 Marks)
1. Define water supply?
2. What are the sewerage materials?
3. Mention two advantages of steel Pipes?
4. Mention four advantages of cement concrete pipes?
5. Define RCC pipe.
6. What are the devices include in sewer appurtenances?
7. What are the classifications of manholes?
8. What is testing of sewer pipes?
9. Write two types of pumps?
10. Mention the advantages of air pressure pumps?
11. Write short notes on cast iron pipes.
12. Describe about steel pipes.
13. Describe about G.R.I pipes.
14. Write short notes on cement concrete pipes.
15. Write short notes on cast iron pipes.
16. Distinguish between spigot and socket joint
17. Define expansion joint.
18. Explain collar joint for AC pipes
19. Write short notes on testing of pipes.
20. Define sewage
21. What is meant by sewerage?
22. What is manhole?
23. Define sedimentation.
24. What do you mean by chlorination?
25. Name the various testing of sewer line.
PART – B
1. Explain briefly about pipe materials?
2. Explain sewerage system?
3. Briefly explain the Activated Sludge treatment process with neat sketch.
4. Draw a neat sketch on different shapes of sewerage pipes.
5. Explain about laying and testing of sewerage pipe?
6. Explain briefly about pumps and their advantages.
7. Design of sanitary and storm sewerage
8. Explain the unit operations with flow chart of treatment of sewage.
9. Describe about the secondary treatment of sewage.
10. Sketch and explain.
i) Direct intake from river
ii) Intake from reservoir
UNIT – V
PART – A
1. Define plumbing.
2. What is “Plumbing water supply”?
3. What is plumbing sanitary or drainage system?
4. Name the components of water connection system.
5. Write the importance of underground storage tanks.
6. Give examples for metal tanks used for water storage purpose.
7. What are the advantages of mild steel (M.S) metal tanks?
8. Explain HDPE.
9. Write the advantage of automatic pumping system.
10. What is “bib cock”?
11. What is the use of ventilation in the buildings?
12. What are called sanitary fittings?
13. List out the various sanitary fittings.
14. Write any five principles of sanitary plumbing system
15. Define house drain sizing.
16. How will you size the vent pipe?
17. Write short note on smoke test in pipes.
18. What are the advantages of aeration system in water treatment system?
19. What are the disadvantages of aeration system in water treatment system?
20. Explain FRP.
21. List the different systems of plumbing.
22. What are the various kinds of vent piping?
23. What is meant by individual trap vent?
24. Write a note on branch vent in drainage piping.
25. Write about the Single stack system
PART – B
1. Write in brief about water connection components.
2. Explain the water storage systems in buildings.
3. Give a detailed account on piping systems in buildings.
4. Write the general requirements of domestic water storage tanks. Add notes on types of
tanks used in domestic overhead storage tanks.
5. Briefly describe the design considerations for water piping systems in buildings.
6. Describe how house sewer is connected to main sewer?
7. Describe in detail about the house drainage system in buildings.
8. Enumerate the procedure involved in the fixtures and fittings of sanitary ware.
9. List out the various plumbing materials used in plumbing of a building.
10. Write a detailed account on sanitary fittings