2. Discovery• In 1869, a Swiss physiologist, Friedrich Miescher, separated the nuclei of various types of cells from other cellular components.
3. What are nucleic acids?• Are organic compounds that function from the storage of genetic information• Function in protein synthesis as they carry the code needed in the formation of specific proteins
4. 2 Types of Nucleic Acids• Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA) Made up of Nucleotide• Ribonucleic Acid (RNA)
5. Nucleotide• Phosphate Group, a sugar, a nitrogenous base
9. Differences of DNA & RNA DNA RNASugar Deoxyribose (C5H10O4) Ribose (C5H10O5)Strand Double stranded Single StrandedNitrogenous Adenine Adeninebases Thymine Uracil Cytosine Cytosine Guanine GuanineLocation Mostly in the nucleus but may Mostly in cytoplasm also be found in cytoplasm but may also be and mitochondria found in the nucleus
10. LOCATION OF DNA &RNA IN THE CELL Cytoplasm RNA DNA Nucleus DNA RNA