ICAP Fundraising Guidelines
The most important aspect of participating in any fundraising activities is recognizing where funds are
going after they have been raised. Funds which are being raised without any indication of the intended
recipient or program will be assumed to be used solely in support of an organization’s general
operating funds. Raising funds in support of any organization’s general operating funds cannot be
counted as earned ICAP service hours. Therefore, it is vital that all ICAP members who wish to count
their hours of participation toward fundraising know what specific program they are raising funds.
In the context of AmeriCorps, fundraising activities are defined as any activity which directly pursues or
receives revenues or acts in support of those activities. Activities which indirectly support revenue
producing initiatives are capacity building activities and should not be considered fundraising activities.
Fundraising cannot …
1) Be used for a member’s living allowance or an organization’s general (as opposed to project)
operating expenses or endowment.
2) Compose of more than 10% of your Iowa College AmeriCorps Program service hours
(30 hours for 300 hour awardees, 45 hours for 450 hour awardees)
3) Receive funding from federal government sources
Fundraising can …
1) Be intended to support or enhance the program delivery model.
2) Respond to the organization’s goal of increasing, expanding or enhancing services in order to
address the most pressing needs identified in the community.
3) Enable the organization to provide a sustained level of more or better direct services after the
national service participant’s term of service has ended.
Please contact your supervisor or the ICAP program director directly if you are unsure or uncertain if
your service counts as fundraising activities.
This document is to be used solely as a guideline for ICAP member fundraising activities. In no way does
the direction, language, advice used in the guidelines described herein supersede policy listed in the
member service agreement.
Last Updated 11/22/13