2. Bad NewsNobody wants to “engage”with your silly brand
3. 56%Of Social Networking UsersFollow BrandsEdison Research | The Social Habit | Fall 2012
4. 77%Friend Brands To GetCoupons & DealsCone Consumer Media Study
5. The Truth:•Preferred channel for marketing? •Email - 77% •Facebook - 4% •Twitter - 1% (ExactTarget)•Where do you look for product info? •Company Website/Email - 87% •Search Engine - 6% •Facebook - 4% (ExactTarget)
6. Who do you friend on Facebook?
7. Among the 200 biggest brands onFacebook, only 0.45% of their fansactually engaged with them. - Ehrenberg Bass Institute & Advertising Age
8. Why? What the purists don’t say ... Mike Baldwin - Shutterstock.com
9. Engage Dammit!
10. Engagement is not a Goal.Engagement is a Result!
11. What have you been told?•Provide value•Be audience-centric, not brand-centric•Participate, Join the Conversation•Build relationships, not billings
12. Why aren’t you he purists don’t say ... What tfollowing the bestpractices? Mike Baldwin - Shutterstock.com
13. Push Elsewhere
14. Don’t Believe The HypeAmerican Social Networkers 12 and up ...•86% watch television at least nearly every day•76% listen to radio at least a few times per week•42% read a newspaper at least a few times per weekEdison Research - The Social Habit - Fall 2012
15. Don’t Believe The HypeTelevision•Viewing at an all-time high•Only 2% is web TV•95% of TiVo ads are watched live•TV among teens is up 33% in 8 years
16. Be Useful
17. Be Relevant (Local)
18. Holy Smokes! Jean Winters Olkonen
19. What the purists don’t say ...
20. Stop Faking It
21. What the purists say ... Social Media Explorer✦ Strategy, Execution & Measurement✦ ConversationReport.com✦ Events For Marketers: GoToExplore.co✦ Q&A Site: ExploringSocialMedia.com @JasonFalls Damn Handsome socialmediaexplorer.com