1. NAVIGATING THROUGH THE FRAGMENTED MEDIA LANDSCAPE ROLE OF MOBILE IN YOUR MEDIA MIXBinay Tiwari, Head - Global Marketing, Vserv.mobi
2. Reach of Mass Media in IndiaCinema Radio Press Cable & DTH Television76 158 349 448 539MILLION MILLION MILLION MILLION MILLION
3. Mobile Vs. TelevisionTelevision Mobile539 MILLION 873 MILLION
4. Most powerful Mass Media ever!Print TEXT/IMAGERadio MUSIC BROADCASTTV VIDEOInternet INTERACTIVEMobile +
5. Many “Firsts” as a Mass Media 100% Audience measurement Truly personal 1 device per person Always ON & Always Carried
6. Mobile Internet – over 112 Mn Users 873subscriber base Mobile MILLION 374 enabled handsets Internet MILLION 112Internet users Mobile MILLIONSource: TRAI | Vodafone | Industry Estimates
7. Mobile Internet will continue to grow! TECHNOLOGY AFFORDABLE GPRS 3G ROLL OUT WIMAX CONTENT APPS | GAMES MOBILE SITES MOBILE INTERNET MEDIUM WILL MUSIC/ RADIO USERS IN INDIA CONTINUE TO MOBILE TV GROW DEVICES ADVANCED FEATURE PHONES MASS MARKET SMARTPHONES LOW COST TABLETS
9. MYTH #1 My audience uses only iPhone / iPad
10. MOBILE INTERNET READY DEVICE BASE ~ 1%iPad > 80% iPhone + FEATURE PHONESFEATURE PHONES ARE CRITICAL FOR REACH!
11. MYTH #2 Only Smartphone users enjoy Apps
12. SURFS THE MUSIC ON PLAY GAMES SOCIAL MEDIA INTERNET LOUDSPEAKERS ACCESS All Phones PLAYS RUN are SMART! VIDEOS APPS All this in a phone costing less than $50!
13. App AdvantageEasy to UseVisual v/s TextOffline / low connectivity useRicher user experienceHigher Stickiness and Repeat Use
14. APPsolutely HUGE! 100K APPS 13 MILLION DOWNLOADS/DAY OTHERAPP STORES 75 MILLION LIKES! Facebook feature phone app page is the single most ‘liked’ page!
15. MYTH #2 Mobile offers only tiny banner formats, which users don’t notice
16. Premium Ad PlacementLAUNCH AD: EXIT AD:Featured before Featured on App starts exiting the App
18. MYTH #4 Mobile Internet users are the same folks already using PC Internet
19. Mobile only Internet usage Introducing India’s mobile-only Internet generationMobile is the only way to access Internet 41%Convenient when away from computer 40%Cheaper than using a computer 39%Easier than using a computer 32%
20. HALF the mobileinternet usersNEVER / RARELYuse the interneton a computer
21. First Internet Experience on Mobile NEVER used the Internet on a PC Actually find ads useful and a form of discovery
22. Mobile ALREADY ahead in India India Internet Traffic: Desktop v/s Mobile
23. MYTH #5 = Usage patterns on Mobile Internet are similar To PC Internet
24. Desktop InternetWeb Pages / Search Email / IM StreamingI C nformation ommunication E ntertainment Search / Reviews Email / Social Ringtone / Wallpaper Mobile Internet
25. THE MOBILE TRIFECTA 65% 55% 30% DOWNLOADS SOCIAL/EMAIL BROWSINGSource: On Device Research, Opera Software
26. What % should mobile be in your Media Mix?
27. Does MOBILEmake sense forYOUR BRAND?
28. 1 REACH URBAN+RURAL AT SCALE
29. Scale to Address Urban & Rural Markets Wireless Tele- Density in India at 72.7% URBAN: 159% Rural: 35.4%Source: TRAI, Sep 2011
30. Example: DTH Providers Need Deep Reach in Rural and Urban Marketsto influence purchase decisions in a highly competitive market
31. 2ENGAGING THE YOUTH
32. 84% AREBETWEEN18-35
33. Example: Youth BrandsReach the youth on a media which they love and use through the day… and night!
34. 3 REACH TECH-SAVVY INFLUENCERS
35. Evolved Users are doing more than just talking on mobile Aware & ambitious Gadget freaks Use funky accessories Influencers
36. Example: Tech / Gadget BrandsReach users excitedabout consumertechnologyand influence purchasedecisions of their friendsand family
37. 4 Maximize App Distribution
38. Targeted Reach, High ROI AudienceOther MobileMedia Advertising Non Supported Print GET APP $ $ Supported Web Target better for TV Non Mobile Less spillage
39. Track performance End-to-End AD Served APP Install LOSS in Media ChangeOFFLINE ADVERTISING GET APP SEAMLESSMOBILE ADVERTISING From Click to Install
40. MAXIMIZE App Distribution No Media Jump: Best way to drive distribution Reach new users who don’t come to your brand property Accurate Targeting: No Wasted Traffic Optimize traffic sources to achieve eCPI goals
41. Example: ‘App Savvy’ Brands
42. 5 CONSUMER SEGMENTATION BASED ON MOBILE DEVICE
43. Powerful Targeting Based on Device
44. Example: Mobile / OEM BrandsCOMPETITOR DEVICE:Switch over to BrandEXISTING USER WITH OLDER DEVICES:Upgrade within BrandEXISTING USERS WITH TOP OF LINE DEVICES:Advocate Brand
45. 6 RIDE THE 3G WAVE
46. Identify Users Mobile Operator Gateway IP address SIM card based even if user is on Wi-Fi
47. Example: Mobile Telco Brands Leverage Mobile Number Portability and 3G to attract customers from Competition Upsell 3G Value Added Services to existing users
48. 7Drive Micro-Transactions
49. Mobile has a built-inpayment mechanism Telco billing – frictionless; one click experience for the user Operator revenue shares have improved – now upto 70%
50. Example: Deals / Coupon ServicesPromote & Sell deals – all on the mobile!
51. 8 Drive Traffic to New Mobile Property
52. Performance-based Traffic Generation No “Media Jump” Seamless User Experience Pay only for Clicks, not Ad impressions No wasted traffic No “pop ups”
53. Example: “Online First” Brands moving to Mobile
54. 9 Regional / Local Retail Presence
55. Effective Location Based Targeting Circle Targeting – Large Metro Markets – Mumbai / Delhi – States with a high “Regional flavour” GPS / Cell Tower based location
56. Example: Retail Brands FESTIVAL OFFERSDurga Puja: W Bengal | Onam: Kerala YOUTH HUBS College / Hangout areas
57. 10 Time-Sensitive Communication
58. Reach / Remind users ofyour service during a certain time of day
59. Example: TV ChannelsBoost campaign only an hour before aTV Show!Remind + Show a video teaser!
60. 3 Key Take Aways 1 2 3 REACH ENGAGE IMPACT + APPSCombo is critical Leverage Both - Reach & in Emerging ‘Natural’ Impact are Markets consumption possible with behavior the right media