Blogging is simple -
sandwhich method and
● I like blogs, started with livejournal,
progresssed to tumblr, tried multiply, then
wordpress – stuck with wordpress. I wrote
mostly about what I saw, what I thought
● I measure my progress in life through
blogging – in a way,
● But first – what do you want to do?
– Fashion blog?
– Marketing blog?
– Insights blog?
– Opinionated articles blog?
– Technical blog?
– Or personal blog?
your BRAND is you!
● What you blog about most becomes you
● People will see you as an expert in things
you blog about
● Blogging helps build some reputation
● Writing about your technical expertise
helps employers know whether or not your
skills are a great fit for their projects and
Writing takes a lot of patience
● You don't write and quit just because you
can't seem to find good words. You find a
● You have to do your homework and do your
● You have to make sure you don't appear
stupid – particularly in technical blogs.
● You should give a lot of thought to what you
● Social Media
● Idea is to place everything you find out
into a “database” or “Knowledge-base”
How to begin
● Create an outline
● Choose from popular blog templates
– Enumeration/Lists – choose 5,10,12,15 points
– Blog with lots of pictures and captions – useful for
travel blogs, events, etc
– Marketing blogs are mostly blogs about gadgets.
– Sports blogs – if you like a certain sports team or
sport. you'd get the latest news a
– Spinning it (revising it) to add your personal touch
is easy to do!
What point do you want to get
● What's your point – this is what you have to
put into your introduction and into your
● Unless you just want to inform, that's the
only time you don't really need an
introduction and a conclusion
● If you want to offer an opinion or talk about
personal things – I suggest you “make it
But first – maybe ask WHY?
● Why do you want to write about this?
● Are you passionate about it?
● Can you relate personal anecdotes to your
● The world just wants to hear YOU – your
voice! Not how some other person
interpreted it and what wikipedia says
● Also, copy pasting loses your blogs
How to Blog in an organized way
● Create an outline
● (optional step: do some research) Create an initial
● Create a second draft
● “Write in white heat, cross out when you're cooler in
● You have to mix both your logic and your creative
sides together. It depends on your personality though
– i.e. maybe you like to outline research first before
you actually write it – methodically
● Derek sivers (sivers.org)
● Sebastian Marshall (.com)
● Seth Godin (sethgodin.typepad.com)
● Ramit Sethi
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.