• Needs an accurate and efficient information retrieval system• The information retrieval system should be: • Easy to use • Electronic • Able to maintain confidentiality for: • Student assessment records • Information retrieval
An automation system! › Does the “heavy lifting” for you! Components of an automation system: › Circulation › Cataloging › Online Catalog Access
• Speedy check in and checkout• Use of barcodes and scanning devices assist in inventory• Savings in storage space compared to card files• Fast way to evaluate the collection• Monitor usage statistics easily and accurately
• Individual circulation records are private. Follow ALA/AASL guidelines http://www.ala.org/aasl/a aslissues/positionstatements /conflibrecds• Sort by: • Date • Type of materials • Subject • Other• Generate reports for promoting school library activity, especially surrounding programming or event
Cataloging links the collections together. Functions include: › Adding MARC records › Printing shelf lists › Producing collection statistics reports
Important aspects of an OPAC are: › Ease of use › Choice of search options (basic or advanced) › Integrated search results (federated searching)
Require electricity Require backup to prevent loss of data May be compromised by hacking
• Four areas where automation is able to help: – Scheduling – Circulation – Inventory – Overdue notices & other communications with users (stakeholders)
Staff work schedules Hours of operation Collaboration efforts Class research Teaching time Testing schedule More…
• Knowing what is in the school library’s collection is important for collection development • Many districts require• Consider conducting a yearly inventoryinventory when the lack ofcirculating books will not bedisruptive to students havingbooks in their hands to read
• Modification of printed notices to maintain privacy following ALA/AASL guidelines http://www.ala.org/aa sl/aaslissues/positionst atements/conflibrecds• May add information as needed for notices• Reduces time- consuming manual tasks
Automation systems in the school library do so much! This book is a valuable source for helping you learn more!
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.