1. ..,. AG ENDAUNIT3 there islthere IJ~ some/any Workplaces have, hllve got Prepositi ons .. As king for and giving d irectio ns .. As king for travel info rmation Language focus o descriprionspicrurc. [he rooms a-f. of Force Archita:(s. Match (he Look at the l-6 with It shows (he office Evas office has alarge desk and 2 Yuri is responsible for the company 3 In the meeting room theres a table pictures of modern buildings on the website and the computer system. with eight chairs. There is also a walls. Shes got a laptop. There Hes got lots of computers in his projector and a screen. Gary is arent any books. office. giving a presentation.4 Today is Chriss first day in Force 5 In reception theres a coffee table 6 Ana is the company lawyer. Shes got Architects. He doesnt have any and a sofa. There are some chairs lots of bookshelves and law books in furniture in his office, but hes got a and magazines. her office . computer. There are some boxes on the n oor.
2. f) Look again at t he picture. Is there a room similar to your office or work a rea? E) (;) 3.1 Today is Chris firSt day 3t Force Architects. Rachel , the receptionil>t, comes to see him. She asks Chris some queStions . Tick (./ ) the things that Chri~ has in his office . Put a cross (X) next to the things that hc doesnt have. computer keyboard mouse printer phone pen paper d iary calendar pictures on rhe wa lls o (;) 3.2 Chris asks Rachel some questions about the company offices. Listen and ­ tick (./ ) true or fa lse. True Fa lse There isn, a canieen in the office. 2 Theres a coffee machine upstairs. 3 There arent any rooms with air conditioning . 4 Theres a car park in the next street. 5 Theres one parking space in the office.there is/are, some/any Read the examples and complete the grammar ru les. Positive Negative• Theres a table with eight chairs. There isnt a ctlnteen In the office,• There arc some boxes. There arent any books,Question Short answer• Is there a coffee machine in the office? Yes, there is.• Are Ihere any parking spaces? No, there a rent .Write singular o r plural.• Use there is/theres with nouns.• Use there are with nouns.• Use some with noUnS in positive sentences, where we dont say th e n um ber.• Use any with nouns in negative sentences and q uestions. etBookp.12have, heve gotRead the examples and t he grammar rules. •Positive Negative• I have a computer a nd a keyboard. • The computer doesnt have a mouse.• Ive got iJ4tlenda r. • We havent got a ir conditioning in the office.Question Short answer • Do you have a diary? Yes, I do. • H ave you got pens a nd paper? No, I havent. • Use bOlh have a nd have got in British English.• Use only have in American English. Pocket Book p.4
3. Pronunciation ~ 3.3 Listen and repeat the sentences. 1 Theres onJy unc printer in the offia:. ~ ~ 2 There are some chairs and magazines in reception. ~ 3 There arcnt any books in her office. ~ ~ 4 An men: any parking spaces? ~ 5 Ive got a calend ar. ~ 6 Has (he o ffice gO[ air condit ioning? ~Practice o Look at the list. Tick (/) what you have at your place of work or study. You Your panner quielareas escalators or lifts a colfee machine acanleen a gym or fitness room acarporl::: a medical centre a creche a reception area air conditioning f) Work in pairs. Ask your partner about their place of work . Use the list in 0 . As k Is tbere a ... f Answer Yes, there is.INo, there isn t. Are there all)? Yes, there are.lNo, there aren t. €) Work in another pa ir. Find out about you r pa rmers office or work area. Ask Do )Otl have a .. . ? Answer Yes, I do.lNo , 1 d01It. Do you have allY ... ? Have you got a ... ? Answer Yes. I have.lNa I hav~n·t.
4. o Work in pairs. Look at the picture for one minute. Then close your books and write down everything in the office. Did you remember everything? •o Work in groups. Describe youi ideal place of work. Make a list of youe ideas and present them to the class. Begin Our ideal place of work has alsome ... There:S a ...!There are some...
5. Wordpower Prepositions o Look at the picturethe the town .the box. standing outside the bank. Complete the sentences with of words in You ate department store POSt office seafront tourist information office theatre cafe bookshop chairs and tables The _ __ is o n the corner of Museum Road and Seafront Road, next to the post office. 2 The _ __ is between [he music shop and thtcafc. 3 The ___ is next to the tourist information office, opposite the car park. 4 The ___ is on [he right of the bank . S The ___ is opposite the cafe . 6 The are in front of the cafe. 7 T he ___ is on the right of the museum. 8 The is nea r the rown centre. B B B trJ
6. 8 0 3.4 Six colleagues are on a business trip. They are trying to meet in the town centre. Ma.rk (Xl their pos itio ns on the map. ( Karr! n Julia Boris Sara Dia na Vincent )8 0 3.5 Listen and write A, S, and C on the map ro show where tht:se places arc. A the Sanders Hotd B the tax i rank C the Ita lian restaurant II Mare o 0 3.5 Liste n again. Complete the sentences. 1 Excuse me, _ ______ the Sanders Hotel? 2 Excuse me, _ _ _____ taxi rank _ _ _ _ __ _ 3 _ _ _ _ _ __ , were _ __ _ _ _ _ an Ita lian restaurant.o How d o the business visitors say thank you?o Work in pairs. Choose rwo places o n the map. Tell your partner wh ere yo u arc .
7. Focus on communication Asking for and giving directions o Match the words and pictures a- e. o bridge o pedesrrian crossing o square o ""(fic ogl,,, o crossroads fJ Look at [he town map. Find a-e on [he ma p. Cinema o , 100m e ~ 3.6 Listen to three conversa tions with visiiors to the town. T hey are standing in front of the sflrion on Station Road. rite the nuOl ber on the map to show where these places are. I shopping centre 1 museum 3 sports cemre o Wo rk in pause You a rc on South Avenue. in from of the ci nema. Ask for a nd give directions fO four places on the m:lp. Use ph rases from the box. Excuse me, how do I get to (the sq llare)? is this the way to (the shopping celltre )? Go along (the r oad ). over (the bridge ). past (the cin ema ), straight on. Turn left/right a t thc (cross roads/traffic lights), first/second/third right. P et Book p.14 o Write one of the conversations from O. Asking for travel information o Look at the pictures on the left. Find the words for 1 the cost of a journey far! 2 th~ p lace where you get on and off a train 3 the place where you get on and off a bus 4 a ticket to travel from A to B j a t icker to travel from A ro Band B to A 6 something which shows you have paid
8. e Read the semences. Tick (,I) to show when you use t hem. Travolby train taxi How long does the journey taka? ./ ./ 2 Whats the fare? 3 Which platfo rm does it leave from? 4 Do you go to the city centre? 5 Can you take me to the Sheraton Hotel, please? 6 Can you tell me when to get off? 7 Can I have a receipt. please? 8 Kaepthechange . (j) 3.7 Listen ro a conversation between a passenger and a tic;;~office clerk . Complete the chan. Destination Ticket Fare Next trai n at Platfo rm Journey timeo (j) 3.7 Listen again and check.o Work in pa irs. Practise conversations. [he <: t­ Conversation 1 . t­ Conversation 1 You want to travel to Paris by train. You work al a train station. 2 Ask Student B 2 Answer StudentNs questions. w • for a return TO Paris w • return to Paris € l 60 C C • for a receipt • next trai n: 16.30 :l :l • What time ... ? • platform 17 t­ t­ en • Which platform ... ? en • jo urney tim e: 2 hrs 50 mins • How long ... ?. t­ Conversation 2 <: t­ Conversation 2 You want to travel to Brussels by bus. You wo rk at a bus station . 2 Ask StudentA 2 Answer Student Bs questi ons. w w C • for a Sing le to Brussel s C • sing le to Brussels 47 € :l • for a receipt :l • next bus: 13.45 t­ • What time .. . ? t­ • bus stop 9 en • Which bus stop ... ? en • journey time: 6 hrs 30 mins • How long ... ?o Write one of the conversations you had in 0.