1. HIGHLANDS UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH SERVICE OF WORSHIP July 8, 2012 6th of Pentecost “Home and Away” The Rev. Dr. David Lee, Pastor Jaimie Shires, DCE Gibson Dixon, Director of Music Sue Heckler, Church Secretary “But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people,in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness intohis marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.” (1 Peter 2: 9-10)
2. HIGHLANDS UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH A Celebration of Worship July 8, 2012 -- 6th of Pentecost “ENTER WITH REVERENCE TO WORSHIP GOD”TIME OF PREPARATION Mission Yearbook – p. (Take this opportunity to pause for a moment and pray for God’s presence among us today, our worship leaders, those who worship with you and for yourself.)WELCOME AND GATHERING We gather in this place to worship. Its a good place to be. Jesus tells us not to get too comfortable. Are we going somewhere?PRELUDE AND BRINGING THE LIGHT*THE CALL TO WORSHIP Let us praise God here in this place of worship, in awe over God’s steadfast love. Your name, O God, like your praise, reaches to the ends of the earth... Let the whole world rejoice because of your righteous judgments. Let us pass on the message of God’s greatness wherever we go So that generation to generation will know that this is our God who will guide us forever. Come and worship God, our strength and salvation.*GATHERING PRAYER AND THE LORDS PRAYER (responsive) God of faith and truth: You create and we stand in awe, You nurture and we are fed, You offer us grace, and we experience the assurance that we are never alone. Help us always to be people of faithful courage, Eager to worship and serve you In all times and places. Here us now as we pray the prayer Christ Taught us, "Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever. Amen."*HYMN OF PRAISE NO. 477 "Ye Servants of God, Your Master Proclaim" Ye servants of God, your Master proclaim, And publish abroad His wonderful Name; The Name all victorious of Jesus extol, His kingdom is glorious and rules over all. God ruleth on high, almighty to save, And still He is nigh, His presence we have; The great congregation His triumph shall sing, Ascribing salvation to Jesus, our King. *If comfortable, please stand
3. “Salvation to God, who sits on the throne!” Let all cry aloud and honor the Son; The praises of Jesus the angels proclaim, Fall down on their faces and worship the Lamb. Then let us adore and give Him His right, All glory and power, all wisdom and might; All honor and blessing with angels above, And thanks never ceasing and infinite love. "SEEK FORGIVENESS AND FELLOWSHIP"*CONFESSION AND PARDON We may boast of all our deeds and achievements, but inside, we know our brokenness, our failures, our weaknesses. Yet God has promised to heal us, anointing us with the oil of grace. Let us confess our lives, as we pray together saying, You come, Crafter of Wonder, longing to be a part of our lives, yet we often find it difficult to welcome you. You would be our lifelong companion, but we shake you off, leaving you in the dust as we race after temptation. You offer to be our guide in this journey we call life, but we brag that we can make our own way. Your love withstands the force of our stubbornness, Composer of Grace, even as your forgiveness breaks the power of our fears. As we have heard your words of mercy echo in our hearts, as we have felt your grace make us whole, as we have seen you in those who welcome us as sisters and brothers, may we go forth to tell the good news of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. “Lord, Have Mercy Upon Us, Christ Have Mercy Upon Us, Lord Have Mercy Upon us.”*ASSURANCE OF PARDON Gods love reaches to the ends of creation, and mends our broken hearts. Gods hope echoes through the universe, and sings in our souls. Gods grace tenderly, gently, completely makes us new people. We have heard the good news spoken to us; we have seen the good news modeled for us; we will be the good news for others. Thanks be to God, we are forgiven! Amen.*THE GLORIA PATRI “Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end, Amen.” “THE PROCLAMATION OF GOD’S WORD”OLD TESTAMENT LESSON 2 Samuel 5:1-5, 9-10 (OT: p. ) The Word of the Lord; Thanks be to God!
4. SPECIAL MUSIC “PRECIOUS LORD, TAKE MY HAND” Tom Douget, soloist Precious Lord, take my hand, Lead me on, help me stand; I am tired, I am weak, I am worn; Through the storm, through the night, Lead me on to the light; Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home. When my way grows drear, Precious Lord, linger near; When my life is almost gone, Hear my cry, hear my call, Hold my hand lest I fall; Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.*NEW TESTAMENT LESSONS 2 Corinthians 12:2-10 (NT: p. ) * Mark 6:1- 13 (NT: p. )*PASSING THE PEACE May the peace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you. And Also With You. (At this time you are invited to share a sign of peace: a hug, a handshake, a kiss…)TIME WITH THE YOUNG CHURCH INTERLUDE (All children, ages 4 through 2nd grade are invited to attend “Children’s Church” after “A Time with the Young Church.” Their leader will meet them in the back of the sanctuary, They may be picked up after worship in the Family Life Center, room #207.)SERMON “Home and Away” "SHARING OUR RESPONSE TO GOD "*HYMN OF RESPONSE NO. 438 “Blest Be The Tie That Binds” 1. Blest be the tie that binds Our hearts in Christian love: The fellowship of kindred minds Is like to that above. 2. Before our *Fathers throne We pour our ardent prayers; Our fears, our hopes, our aims are one, Our comforts and our cares. 3. We share our mutual woes, Our mutual burdens bear, And often for each other flows The sympathizing tear. 4. From sorrow, toil, and pain, And sin we shall be free; And perfect love and friendship reign Through all eternity..*AFFIRMATION OF FAITH (The Apostles’ Creed (Ecumenical) in Unison) ”I believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again; He ascended into heaven, is seated at the right hand of the Father, and will come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic (universal) church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and the life everlasting. Amen.”
5. BEING THE CHURCH IN MISSION, PRAYER AND GIVING Discipleship and Moment for Mission As We Come to PrayerPRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE Have mercy on us, O God, according to your loving kindness; in your great compassion, hear our prayers. We pray for the whole church, all leaders and ministers, and all the holy people of God. Wash us through and through, And cleanse us from our sin. We pray for our nation, for all the nations of the earth, and for all who govern and judge. Purge us from our sin, And we shall be pure. We pray for those who hunger, those who thirst, those who cry out for justice, those who live under the threat of terror, and those without a place to lay their head. Make them hear of joy and gladness, that those who are broken may rejoice. We pray for those who are ill, those in pain, those under stress, and those who are lonely. Give them the joy of your saving help, and sustain them with your bountiful Spirit. Even in fearful times we pray for those who seek to deepen their faith, and we pray that we all might be given the grace and strength to repent and grow closer to you, O God. Create in us clean hearts, O God, and renew a right spirit within us. We pray for those who have are sad today, cast them not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from them. We especially pray for the sick, those serving in conflicts around the world, for our nation in its struggle to find itself anew. Give them your comfort, Lord. Lord, you call and challenge us to be bold in sharing the faith. You expect us to go and tell, to live and serve, to be the church. Make us bold in the going, Lord, and faithful in the serving. You give us opportunity, challenge and responsibility; unite us in purpose to be the church. Amen.GIVING OF OUR TITHES AND OFFERINGS OFFERTORY*DOXOLOGY AND PRAYER OF DEDICATION “Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow; Praise Him, all creatures here below; Praise Him above, ye heavenly host; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.”*CHARGE AND BLESSING Believe in the power that God has given to each one of us. We will go, believing. Believe that God gives us courage to do great things. We will go, believing. Believe that God turns small things into great things.
6. We will go, believing. Believe that God chooses ordinary people to do extraordinary things. We will go, believing. Believe that God cares for those who are poor and in need. We will go, believing. Believe that God can help us find a new way to accomplish what seems to be impossible. We will go, believing. Thanks be to God!*HYMN OF PARTING NO. 441 “I Love Thy Kingdom, Lord” I love Thy kingdom, Lord, The house of Thine abode, The church our blessed Redeemer saved With His own precious blood. I love Thy church, O God. Her walls before Thee stand, Dear as the apple of Thine eye, And graven on Thy hand. For her my tears shall fall For her my prayers ascend, To her my cares and toils be given Till toils and cares shall end. Beyond my highest joy I prize her heavenly ways, Her sweet communion, solemn vows, Her hymns of love and praise. Sure as Thy truth shall last, To Zion shall be given The brightest glories earth can yield And brighter bliss of Heaven.*BENEDICTION*RESPONSE “May the God of Hope” “May the God of hope go with us every day, Filling all our lives with love and joy and peace. May the God of justice speed us on our way, Bringing light and hope to every land and race. Praying, let us work for peace, Singing, share our joy with all, Working for a world thats new, Faithful when we hear Christs call.”*POSTLUDE “ * - If comfortable doing so, please stand
7. HIGHLANDS’ HIGHLIGHTS This Week at Highlands July 8 - 14This Week’s Calendar of Events: Sunday: 9:00 a.m. Sunday School 10:00 a.m. Worship Monday: 9:00 a.m. Crafty Ladies 7:00 p.m. Crafty Ladies of the Evening Tuesday: 7:00 p.m. Task Force Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. Wellness and Adult Logos 10:00-3:00 p.m. PYC Beach Day “WELCOME ONE ANOTHER, AS CHRIST WELCOMES US!”HIGHLANDS UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH WELCOMES YOU! We are so glad that you are hereand worshiping with us this morning. We are privileged to have you with us and would invite you to a timeof Fellowship in our Dining Hall after worship. Please do us a favor by signing the Friendship Register andmark appropriate boxes. There are also visitor cards in the pew racks. FIRST TIME VISITORS – WE HAVESOMETHING FOR YOU! Thanks!MEMBERSHIP AT HIGHLANDS is open to all who believe in Jesus Christ as Lord of their lives and who wish tojoin in the worship and ministry of this church. The pastor or any member of the Session would be more thanhappy to discuss this with you.A NURSERY IS PROVIDED IN THE FAMILY LIFE building for those who wish to have their children cared forduring worship. Parents receive a ‘silent pager’ for peace of mind and will be paged in case of any need. Highlandstakes great care in caring for your children.CHILDREN’S CHURCH FOR AGES 4 THROUGH 2ND grades is in the Family Life building after “A Time With TheYoung Church,” except on Communion Sundays. A nursery is provided for infants through three years of age in theFamily Life Center. Worship folders for young Highlands’ worshipers can be found at the usher’s stand. PARENTSplease help your children with their worship experience. IMPORTANT INFORMATIONWOW! Once again your generosity proves to be unbounded! Over 600.00 was raised in our PYCs Mission TripBake sale. Well send them out and theyll get to eat! Thanks!We want to welcome back to Highlands Jane Daugherty as our guest organist for the day.The Task force for a plan of action for Highlands will meet on Tuesday at 7 p.m. We have some big decisionscoming up and some need immediate action and attention. We have to replace the roof on Harris Hall and havesome other items on our agenda as well. Please be in prayerful preparation for upcoming plans!WE NEED SUMMER SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHERS! Please sign up in the Dining Hall after worship.WELLNESS: A WELCOME is extended to all to be a part of the Highlands’ Wellness and Adult Logos programwhich continues each Wednesday morning from 10 – noon. All are welcome! OTHER ITEMS OF IMPORTANCEMISSION OF THE MONTH: The youth Mission Trip is our “Mission of the Month” for July. Our youth will betraveling south to Immokalee, Fl. which is one of the poorest areas in the state financially, but ironically one of therichest in agricultural production. Please stop by the display in the Fellowship Hall after worship to learn more aboutYouth Mission and help Highlands Bring Change. And, dont forget to buy some goodies. Thanks!
8. MEMBER CARE: Contact your Shepherd, the church office or Linda Hall (343-2628) if you have any Member Careneeds or concerns. If you are in need of an updated church directory, please see Linda Hall or stop by the churchoffice. Nancy Moewe is our new Prayer Ministry Contact. Nancys information is as follows:Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, home phone 904-329-1849, cell phone 904-707-8064. Email requests can be sentdirectly to Nancy but please also call her or the church office if it is an emergency request. As always, prayerrequests can be made as well by completing the green slips in the church pews, calling the church office, using thechurch website (hupcjax.org under "Contact Us") or by notifying your Shepherd. The Prayer Ministry would greatlyappreciate follow-up information when it is available so the weekly list can be updated. Also, please notify Nancy ifyou would like to be a part of the Prayer Ministry Chain.LIFE LINE SCREENING: On August 14, the Life Line Screening health event will be at the church. This year notonly will you receive $10 off any package of $139 or more but Highlands will also receive a $10 donation for everymember who signs up and attends the event. After you have registered, please call the church office to let themknow since we must get your name on a sign up sheet. Call 1-800-324-9458 to register or call the church office formore information.CHURCH FINANCES: We are in those summer months when we are away or otherwise engaged on someSundays. We thank you, in advance, for your faithful giving this summer. We are lagging behind and greatlyappreciate any prayerfully considered extra giving. Thanks for serving God and Highlands in faithful giving.ARLINGTON COMMUNITY SERVICES: ACS is in need of canned meat, cold cereal, green peas, Ramennoodles, pork and beans, tea, coffee, pasta sides, plain rice, canned fruit, snacks/crackers/cookies, small pop-topcans, bottles or cans of juice, jiffy mix, bars of soap, and toothpaste. AND don’t forget Jiffy Mix and jelly! 13 jars ofjelly were collected last week.PRAYER BEARS: Prayer Bears and Caring Critters are available in the Fellowship Hall after each service. LOOKING AHEAD July 9 – Crafty Ladies of the Evening at 7 p.m. July 11 – PYC Beach Day 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. July 22 – 28 – Sr. High Mission Trip TODAY’S SERVICESPECIAL PRAYERS: PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING IN YOUR PRAYERS THIS WEEK: HelenFeatherston (home), Lothaine Guthrie (home), Gail Abbott (home), Hank Greene, Marilyn Reed (home), JuneTravis (Taylor Manor, Room 605, 6605 Chester Ave, 32217).FAMILIES WE ARE PRAYING FOR THIS WEEK: Kristen Booth, David and Susan Boynton, the Brewer familyWE ALSO ASK FOR CONTINUING PRAYERS FOR: Sharon Franks, Marian Mink, Lorraine Morgan, Littie Butlerand others not on the list. If there are others for this list, please let us know.OUR WORSHIP VOLUNTEERS THIS MORNING ARE: Greeters: Charles and Betsy Goodyear Children’s Church will be led by Chad GrimmTHE FLOWERS ON THE COMMUNION TABLE are given to the glory of God by Bob and Belinda Abbott in honorof Gail Abbott and Alice Hernandez