Renewable Energy Financing
Investing today for a cleaner future…….
NRG Building Solutions, LLC website:
• NRG Building Solutions, LLC DBA NRG Financial Solutions, LLC
• Corporation Type – Domestic LLC
• State of Incorporation – Arizona, USA
• Incorporation Date 9/25/2008
• NRGBS LLC File # L-1479302-3
• NRGFS LLC File # L-1617681-1
• Owners - Ron Harris, Hunter West, and Tom Rodie
Arizona Secretary of State
Two Divisions of NRG Building Solutions, LLC
• alliances with contractors for
installation of SIPS panels
• we can ship via rail and truck
• anywhere in US
• Tom Rodie, Principal/Owner
•Ron Harris, President/Principal – 40
years investment broker experience.
• Hunter West, Principal/Owner
Role of NRG Financial Solutions, LLC
• NRG acts as facilitator for several investment groups, which include pension funds, hedge funds,
institutional funds, insurance funds, and private investors;
• NRG actively searches for renewable energy projects that meet our investors criteria;
• When an alliance is formed, NRG assists and guides our clients through the compilation of your
required documents for a project application submittal;
• NRG does not function as a typical "referrer" and we do not require exclusivity contracts. NRG
throughout the years have refined our funding process and defined our lender/investor base, to actual
performing entities, who will commit to fund in a matter of days, not months. We do not shop deals as
other facilitators do, as we already have the funds in place. If we don't get a deal closed, we work for
free. If the investor comes back and informs us that the numbers don’t work, we will address the
issue at that time.
• NRG is in direct communication with our investment groups and clients throughout the application
•To keep the process expedited – attached with this presentation will be a executive summary
document request and a project contact information form .
• Let NRG and our group of investors/lenders review your next renewable energy project for funding.
Key Players in the Renewable Energy Industry
A complex system to be navigated…..
NRG has formed key alliances with renewable
energy experts across the industry
A complex system to be navigated, but made
easier by NRG and our extensive network of
Renewable Energy Financing
Wind Farms Wind: Must have guarantees on equipment
that match term of debt or principal must
have net worth to support the repayment and
replacement of turbines.
It needs to be determined if the
technology/product can actually survive the
life of the loan terms. Being that the longer life
loans have a 20 year amortization, we need to
know that: a) the product won't become faulty
within 5-10-15 years; and b) there are lengthy
enough manufacturer's warranties that will
also survive the life of the loan.
Renewable Energy Financing
Solar: Must have investment grade PPA and
EPC on the transaction (if utility
scale). Client must also have permits, land
acquisition, PPA, and interconnection
agreements in place (funds for PPA, land
acquisition, permitting and interconnection
are considered venture capital). If roof top,
must have qualified (investment grade) PPA,
and owner (Lessor or owner for debt).
Renewable Energy Financing
Bio Fuels: Must have PPA's or contracts
with investment grade companies to deliver,
client must also have permits,
ppa/contracts in place (funds for ppa,
grading, permitting and interconnection are
considered venture capital).
Renewable Energy Financing
We also finance:
• waste to energy
• and more…….
NRG’s Investors/Lenders Info:
- Primary investment focus is on utility scale wind, solar, biomass/biofuel,
geothermal and hydro projects $100M US and above.
- Secondary Investment focus $10M US and above.
- NRG’s investors/lenders minimum project size is $10M US and would
prefer to aggregate smaller projects, if possible.
- NRG’s investors/lenders consist of pension funds, hedge funds,
insurance funds and private investors.
- Once a project size reaches the $100M threshold better rates can
typically be offered.
- NRG’s investors do not provide capital for residential projects.
- NRG does not pay fees to brokers/facilitators. They must have an
exclusive/non-exclusive representative and compensation agreement in
place with the project principals, prior to submittal of a project to NRG.
Potential Financing Terms
No terms are guaranteed and are for exemplary purposes.
• Minimum $10 million project size; up to 20 year amortizations; lease-backs; competitive
rates; and up to100% financing;
• NRG can finance international projects;
• NRG deals directly with principals, and there are no fee splits with brokers.
• Intermediaries and/or facilitators negotiate their "finder's fee" with their respective clients
for facilitating funding of the project. Facilitator is to deliver the required project documents
and “Broker Intake” form and compensation release letter.
• NRG does not disclose funding sources, until a formal application is received by NRG, and
proposal(s) is submitted to the client, by funding source(s). This action is prefaced by the
signing of NDNC, by both an NRG principal and the principal(s) of financing client. If said
client desires to forward a list of potential U.S. investors, that have received the renewable
investment project for review, NRG will acknowledge if entities on the list provided, are
currently in NRG's portfolio.
• NRG works on a non exclusive success fee basis.
NRG Funding Process:
1. NRG NDNC is executed. (Projects presented to NRG by a broker/intermediary requires individual
NRG NDNCs be executed by both broker and principal. Broker must forward to NRG, copies of their broker/principal
agreements with principals, for verification.)
2. NRG requests forwarding of completed NRG Executive Summary (ES) project form, Contact Information, attached to a
complete Business Plan (BP), for lender/investor review.
3. NRG ES form is downloaded into NRG lender/investor data-base, which cross-references lender/investor parameters. Upon
a match, NRG selects a minimum of two entities, which best meets project parameters, and forwards the ES/BP. (NRG
submits projects to its own data-base and does not shop deals).
4. NRG forwards BP for final review, upon expressed positive level of interest by the lender/investor.
5. NRG forwards to principal and copies to broker, a final NDNC and CA from its financial partner, for approval and
signature by the principal.
6. NRG schedules the initial Conference Call direct with lender/investor and principals for discussion and final funding
7. NRG lender/investor issues an LOI and term sheet for approval and signature by the principals.
8. Funding is processed.
NRG and its partners move very quickly through the process, which happens in a matter of days, not months. Please be
prepared, in order that the process moves to completion expeditiously.
If submitting a project for review by our investors, an investor package consists of:
- EPC info.
- PPA info. (price, terms, conditions)
- PPA client information.
- Feasibility study of the line capacity information.
- Property information i.e. purchase price or lease information.
- Principal information i.e. resumes and financials.
- Technology information i.e. financials, technology data, product history, specs, and track record.
- Environmental study of the land. (just need to know that all if any conditions have been meet)
- Permitting through the municipality (don't need the detailed information, just need to know it's done)
- Project construction costs (most likely estimated or could be bid from EPC)
- Pro formas if you have them
- Engineering information
Investor Package Requirements:
Types of Funding Options Available
from NRG’s Investors
• Equity partnership
• Joint Venture
• Long term debt finance
• Take out lender
• Other options are always open for negotiation.
1) Arizona has one of the most aggressive renewable energy standards in the US,
requiring Arizona’s electric utilities to produce 15% of their energy from
renewable sources by the year 2025.
2) Proximity to California, the world’s 4th largest solar market and Mexico. Will
enable broad distribution of goods and importing/exporting through renewable
3) Arizona State University, home to the world’s 1st school of sustainability.
4) World renowned solar and photovoltaic testing laboratories (TUV Rhineland
Photovoltaic Testing Laboratory)
5) July 2009 - Governor Jan Brewer signed Arizona Bill SB1403 the Renewable
Industries Bill, which will provide qualified companies with a refundable
income tax credit and a reduction in property taxes.
6) Arizona enjoys 321 days of sun per year.
Link to Arizona Solar Report:
“Arizona will become the major solar energy hub of the Southwestern United States.
Arizona has the infrastructure, trained and available workforce, economic climate, and
tax and investment incentives to attract solar energy companies and provide them with
a competitive edge.” Matt Fitz-Gerald, Solar Energy Network at Colliers International
Arizona Solar Facts (Colliers International “Solar Energy Network – Partners for Change” Oct/09:
Is Your Company Considering Entering the US
Solar Market? “The State of Arizona is poised to
become leader in the Solar Industry.” Michael M. Crow,
President Arizona State University
NRG Building Solutions, LLC can assist in
your entry into the Arizona renewable
1) NRG Building Solutions, LLC is incorporated in the State of Arizona and
the 3 owners of the company all live within the Phoenix metro area.
2) NRG can introduce key players in the Arizona renewable energy industry
to the company relocating.
3) Being located in Arizona has allowed NRG to have existing alliances in
place in the Arizona market, experience working with these entities and
knowledge of local renewable energy trends.
4) NRG has worked closely with the Arizona Department of Commerce, an
agency that plays a key role in the State’s renewable energy program and
other key agencies/companies in the renewable energy industry.
5) An alliance with NRG will allow for a smoother relocation and transition
period during your company’s commencement of operations in Arizona.
Why an alliance with NRG will benefit your company:
AUTHOR IS NOT A SECURITIES DEALER, LENDER, BROKER OR US INVESTMENT ADVISOR. AUTHOR IS A CONSULTANT ONLY AND MAKES NEITHER
WARRANTIES NOR REPRESENTATIONS AS TO THE BUYER, SELLER NOR TRANSACTION. RECEIPT OF THESE DOCUMENTS IS ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND
ACCEPTANCE THAT THIS IS PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY AND CONFIDENTIAL AND WILL NOT BE FORWARDED TO ANY PARTY(S) WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN
CONSENT FROM THE SENDER. PLEASE DELETE IT AND ANY ATTACHMENTS AND NOTIFY THE SENDER THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED IT IN ERROR.
UNINTENDED RECIPIENTS ARE PROHIBITED FROM TAKING ACTION ON THE BASIS OF INFORMATION IN THE E-MAIL. ACCOMPANYING MESSAGES MAY
CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION AND IS FOR THE USE OF THE INTENDED RECIPIENT(S) ONLY. IT IS COVERED BY THE
ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS PRIVACY ACT, 18 U.S.C. SECTIONS 2510-2521. PLEASE REPLY TO THE SENDER IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN
ERROR, THEN PERMANENTLY DELETE IT AND DESTROY ALL OF ITS CONTENTS IMMEDIATELY. LENDERS AND INVESTORS MAY CHANGE FEES, CHARGES,
LOAN PARAMETERS WITH LITTLE TO NO NOTICE. AUTHOR HAS NO CONTROL OR PARTICIPATION IN THESE CHANGES. THIS IS FOR SAMPLE PURPOSES AND
IS NOT AN OFFER OF FINANCING. THESE TERMS ARE NOT GUARANTEED AND ARE SOLELY FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSES ONLY. NOTHING CONTAINED IN THIS
DOCUMENTATION IS GUARANTEED AS AN OFFER OF FINANCING FROM A POTENTIAL LENDER. THIS ENTIRE DOCUMENT HAS BEEN CREATED FOR
INFORMATION PURPOSES AND NOTHING MORE. AUTHOR MAKES NO GUARANTEE OF THE ACCURACY OF THIS INFORMATION.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.