4. Go away. How do I get CNN in MS-Ofﬁce? RTFM!Read The Fantastic(?) Manual http://www.all-tribes.com/eng/catalog/rtfm-vol2-girls-mastic-p-51.html
5. Unfortunately real people don’t RTFM 1. F != “Fantastic” 2. Easier to bug the local techie 3. Better things to do http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/juandesant/2320949867/
6. Unfortunately real people don’t RTFM 1. F != “Fantastic” Usability time! 2. Easier to bug the local techie 3. Better things to do http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/juandesant/2320949867/
7. How do we make our product usable?TTYFU co-creation credit: Dave McClurePic: http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/victoriapeckham/164175205
8. Go away! How do we make our TTYFU! product usable? Talk To Your Fantastic(?) UsersTTYFU co-creation credit: Dave McClurePic: http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/victoriapeckham/164175205
9. TTYFU = Usability + Field studies + Surveys + Metrics ++Greatstarting point http://www.sensible.com/rocketsurgery/index.html
10. Unfortunately real startups don’t TTYFU 1. Lack of time 2. Lack of money 3. Too shy 4. “Launch and see” syndromehttp://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/dunkv/97119622/lightbox/
11. Unfortunately real startups don’t TTYFU W he Lack of time hat is t 2. Lack of money 1. 3. d” rlToo shy and see” “He llo Wo 4. “Launch of TTYFU ?syndromehttp://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/dunkv/97119622/lightbox/
12. TTYFUW/OTTYFU**Talk To Your F... Users Without Talking To Your F... Users
13. %^&*!! WTF?ProductEng bash% man ttyfuw/ottyfu
14. Structured UX ReviewSimulate a target user!- Simple & quick- Catch issues early Not a substitute for TTYFU but a useful compliment ...
15. Simple Process 1. Choose a Target User 2. Identify their goal 3. Step through UI to achieve goal (& note problems)At each step ask:“What would they do next?”
16. ExampleUser: My Mum (Mom)Goal: I want to donate some money to my son’s sponsored bike ride
17. St ep 1
18. St ep 1 Not personalized Very wordy Buried call to action
19. St ep 2
20. St ep 2 Again, easy to miss call to action Distracting animations Distracting navigation Very wordy
21. St ep 3 Exercise for you!
22. Step 4 Exercise for you!
23. RecapTTYFU!No money? No time? Too shy?- Do a structured UX review- Choose target user and goal- Step through ﬂow systematically- You will learn loads (promise!)
24. GO FORTH &TTYFU!Rick Boardmanrick@upstartux.com@uxrick