& Variable Data
Digital Print Production Coordinator
What is Variable Data Printing?
• Variable data printing • VDP can incorporate
(VDP) is the ability to customized text, charts,
merge a templated page colors, logos, headlines,
layout with a variety of and other page elements.
customized page Thus you can in turn
elements. create individualized
brochures, catalogs, and
direct-mail pieces for
marketing and other
Eric J. Adams, Personalized Printing for Less, Publish.com
Benefits of Variable Data/
Direct Mail Printing
• The Rochester Institute of Technology and
several marketing organizations have
found that personalization is more
effective than forms of mass
– Response rate avg. increase 34%
– Response time increase 35%
Types of Variable Data Printing
• Transactional or statement printing
– Accounts Receivable Bills, W-2’s
• Basic Mail Merge
– Merge letters, addressing postcards, flyers
• 1:1 Marketing Applications
– Informational brochures, newsletters,
donor letters, catalogues
1:1 Marketing –
Printing for an Audience of One
• Variable data marketing works by
recognizing the relevant differences
between people and matching them to
appropriate content and presentation.
Student #1, Lisa
- Interested in Art
- Planning on
starting school Student #2, John
- Interested in
- Planning on
First_Name Last_Name Enrollment_Term Major_Interest
Lisa Johnson Fall Art
John Doe Spring Business
Kelly Chapman Summer Liberal Arts
Joe Schmoe Fall Engineering Finished Pieces
Susie Smith Winter Mathematics
Clean up Your Database –
“Garbage In, Garbage Out”
• If you’re going to build • Tips for cleaning
a document based on databases:
a database, the – Make sure your field
quality of the names are accurate
information that – Eliminate duplicate
appears in the records
document is only as – Correct invalid
good as the database information
itself. – Check spelling
Interested? Let us help!
• Start brainstorming! What is my….
– Target audience?
– The aim of my message?
– My budget?
• Call us – we’re here to help!
– Database/Mailing Questions
• Creg Arnold (after 12/20/04)
– Print Merge & Design Questions
• Kelly Chapman, 7-3984
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.