1. The LAGAAN of PerformanceManagerial lessons from India Ali Anani
2. LAGAAN is not only a greatmovie; it is also a lesson for organizational performance
3. The story: A small town in Indiasuffers not only from a droughtbut the whims of British control.People of the town were asked topay double tax. A young man ofthe town protests he is given achallenge – if his town can win acricket match against theBritish, there will be no tax to pay.But if the town loses, it will haveto pay triple the tax.Would people accept?
4. The big challengemake people eventually acceptthe challenge
5. The people won the challengeHow?
6. The first managerial lesson
7. The known equation thatPerformance = Ability X DesirabilityIs not quite adequate
8. There is missing the gluing factor, which is
9. The Grand Purpose to direct peopleto the same goal
10. Now,Performance = Ability XDesirability x PurposeThe greater the purpose is, thegreater the performance is
11. Influencing factors on the peoples’success are:AbilityDesirabilityPurpose
12. Graphically, these may bedepicted as follows:
13. Desirability Purpose
14. And, in a fractal form
15. Ability of Crowds Desirability of crowds Ability of Teams Desirability of Teams Ability of Desirability of Individuals Individuals Ability Performance Desirability of Leader of Leader Purpose of Crowds Purpose of Teams Purpose of Individuals Purpose of Leader
19. The performance equationEmployee performance is a function of three critical factors:Clear expectationsAbilityWillingnessThese three factors must be present for an employee to achieve the expectedresults. This reality is expressed in the performance equation shown here.http://www.hsa-lps.com/E_News/ENews_Jan10/HSA_e-Xpress_Jan10.htm