1. The Crusades Series of 8 or 9 holywars fought betweenChristian states inEurope and TurkishMuslims Spanned 1095-1270
2. The Crusades Emperor of the Eastern RomanEmpire asked Pope Urban II forhelp against the Muslim armies Pope Urban II of the RomanCatholic Church asked hisfollowers to participate and fight
3. The Crusades The goal of the Crusades was to take Jerusalem and related holy lands in the Middle East from Muslims Holy sites had been cut offfrom access because of Muslimexpansion into the Eastern and WesternRoman Empires.
4. The Crusades First Crusade or People’sCrusade ended in the captureof Jerusalem Second Crusade resulted infailure, as European armiesfled from the well-preparedTurkish armies’ attacksduring the siege of Damascus.
5. The Crusades Third Crusade startedwhen Muslims retookJerusalem Ended in a trucebetween King RichardI of England and theMuslim leader, SaladinSaladin allowedChristians to visit the holy sites
6. The Crusades Third Crusade contributed to the downfall of feudalism by inspiring revolt King Richard I financed the ThirdCrusade with heavy, unfair taxes onhis subjects He sold self-government privilegesto towns His capture after the Third Crusadeand ransom payment increased tax rates
7. The Crusades The fourth and subsequent crusades diverted focus from reclaiming holy lands Instead targeted other cities and Muslims