1.2 business model canvas.pptxPresentation Transcript
Understanding Business Models
Which is the be5er bike light*? h5p://outgrow.me/torch-‐bicycle-‐helmet-‐with-‐integrated-‐lights/ h5p://outgrow.me/the-‐defender/ *let’s watch both videos
ObjecFves for the Camp • Go through the early stages of building a startup • Launch a new product using Kickstarter
ObjecFves for Tonight • Be able to deﬁne the ﬁrst 5 Lean Canvas* terms • Represent a Kickstarter project as a Lean Canvas *Lean Canvas is a version of the Business Model Canvas
What is a Business Model? Describes the nine important elements of any business. It is also: • Fast • Concise • Portable …and be5er than a business plan!
Lean Canvas Skip. Skip. Skip. Skip.
Cineskates h5p://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jj1/cineskates-‐camera-‐sliders Please check out this video.
1. Problem List your top 1-‐3 problems: • Smooth video is diﬃcult to capture without bulky or expensive equipment • ExisFng equipment is not portable ExisFng alternaFves: List how these problems are solved today. • Expensive dollies • Steadycams • By hand
F ol l ow1. Problem along with y our groupList your top 1-‐3 problems: ’s examp le! • Smooth video is diﬃcult to capture without bulky or expensive equipment • ExisFng equipment is not portable ExisFng alternaFves: List how these problems are solved today. • Expensive dollies • Steadycams • By hand
2. Customer Segments List your target customers and users: • People ﬁlming video with DSLRs • People concerned with price • People concerned with portability Early Adopters: List the characterisFcs of your ideal customer. • Owns a DSLR and GorillaPod • Shoots video o]en
3. Unique Value Proposi:on 3. Unique Value Proposi:on List your target customers and Single, clear, compelling message that users turns an unaware visitor into an interested prospect: • CineSkates is a portable tripod slider Early Adopters: List system that enables ﬂuid, rolling video the characterisFcs of your ideal customer. without the hassle of bulky camera gear. High Level Pitch: List your X for Y analogy: • Like roller skates for your camera
1. Problem 4. Solu:on List your top 1-‐3 problems: Outline a possible soluFon for each problem: • Smooth video is diﬃcult to capture without • A simple, cheap tripod with wheels bulky or expensive equipment. • Make sure its small and/or collapsible • ExisFng equipment is not portable
5. Channels List your paths to customers: • InﬂuenFal photography blogs • InﬂuenFal photographers that tweet • Leaders of photography groups • News groups/Facebook groups
Bonus: How was it made? How was this product made? • ???
Bonus: How was it made? How was this product made? • Designed with CAD • Prototyped on a 3D printer • InjecFon molded plasFc • Molds were created • Minimum batch size • Low incremental cost
Your Turn: Create a Lean Canvas for: h5p://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gotham/the]-‐resistant-‐bike-‐light-‐by-‐gotham-‐bicycle-‐defen?ref=category