CARRINGTONalso known asOnebygamba, Chapman’s Island and Bullock Island1800 - 1900<br />
Carrington - The Early Days<br />Carrington was originally known by the aboriginal name Onebygamba  meaning “large mound”....
The creek was named after surgeon Charles Throsby who was the 3rd commandant of the Newcastle penal settlement between 180...
The Dyke end as it is now known which was built up during the 1850s was now a series of wharves and fitted with cranes whi...
The long wharves  became Newcastle's exporting wharves for coal and freight. Sail and steam ships came from many parts of ...
The first council meeting was held on Carrington on the 1st June 1888. The population according to the 1891 census was 450...
Coal Loading at the Dyke 1897<br />
By Lewis Stewart 3H<br /> “Of Carrington it can truly be said in its construction, material from all parts of the world ha...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Carrington

313

Published on

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
313
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Carrington

  1. 1. CARRINGTONalso known asOnebygamba, Chapman’s Island and Bullock Island1800 - 1900<br />
  2. 2. Carrington - The Early Days<br />Carrington was originally known by the aboriginal name Onebygamba meaning “large mound”.<br />The earliest European visitors to the Hunter river described the area as a mud flat mostly dry at low tide.<br />In 1804 the area was identified for reclamation. The island by this time was known as Chapman's Island.<br />A branch of the river named Throsby creek separated the mud flats from the main land to the west now known as Wickham. <br />
  3. 3. The creek was named after surgeon Charles Throsby who was the 3rd commandant of the Newcastle penal settlement between 1805 and 1809.<br />By the 1850s rock ballast was dumped from sailing ships and built up the eastern side of the island forming an embankment or dyke. Ships could load or unload cargo here.<br />By 1865 the island was know known as Bullock Island.<br />In 1887 Bullock Island became a municipality named after Lord Carrington who was governor of NSW from 1885 to 1890.<br />
  4. 4. The Dyke end as it is now known which was built up during the 1850s was now a series of wharves and fitted with cranes which were powered by a hydraulic power station built in 1877, which still stands today.Carrington Hydraulic Power station built in 1877<br />
  5. 5. The long wharves became Newcastle's exporting wharves for coal and freight. Sail and steam ships came from many parts of the world.<br />
  6. 6. The first council meeting was held on Carrington on the 1st June 1888. The population according to the 1891 census was 450 residents but by 1900 had reached 2200!Carrington Council Chambers built in 1888<br />
  7. 7. Coal Loading at the Dyke 1897<br />
  8. 8. By Lewis Stewart 3H<br /> “Of Carrington it can truly be said in its construction, material from all parts of the world have found a resting place”<br />The Federal Directory of Newcastle and District for 1901<br />

×