SciFinder Scholar and EndNote
Importing records from the American Chemical Society’s SciFinder Scholar database into
EndNote is accomplished via a Manual Import process utilizing a tagged text file export from the
SciFinder Database and the SciFinder (CAS) import filter.
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) provides instructions for saving records for import into
For SciFinder 2007 –
The basic steps for importing records are as follows:
1. Search SciFinder Scholar and mark articles of interest.
2. Click on the Save As button. The Save File As dialog box appears. You need to determine
where you want to save the file. You also need to change the “Save as type” to Tagged
3. Once the file of marked records is saved to your computer in the Tagged Format (*.txt), you
are ready to import the records into EndNote. Launch EndNote and open the library in which
you want to import the selected records form your search.
4. Select Import under the File Menu which opened the Import menu box.
5. Use the Choose File button to select the tagged (*.txt) file you saved from your search.
6. The next box, Import Option, use the pull down menu to select the SciFinder (CAS) import
filter. If it is not displayed in the menu, choose the Other Filters… option to bring up the
Import Filters menu. Scroll through the menu until you locate the SciFinder (CAS) import
filter from the Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS).
7. The final two options are Duplicates: and Text Translation: As for duplicates, you have the
option to choose between Import All, Discard Duplicates, and Import to Duplicates Library.
Leave Text Translation as the default, No Translation.
8. Click on the Import button to complete importing the records into the selected EndNote