PubMed and EndNote Web
Importing records from the National Library of Medicine PubMed database into EndNote Web is
accomplished via a Manual Import process utilizing the MEDLINE format from the PubMed
Database and the PubMed (NLM) import filter.
The basic steps for importing records are as follows:
1. Search PubMed and mark articles of interest.
2. Click on the Send to: link/pull-down menu. Select File under the Choose Destination
menu which appears. A new menu appears, under the Format menu choose MEDLINE,
then click the Create File button. The save file option will then appear, save the file to
3. Once the file of marked records is saved to your computer in the MEDLINE format
(*.txt), you are ready to import the records into EndNote Web. Logon to EndNote Web
and go to Import References under the Collect tab.
4. Under File browse to and select the file that you just saved.
5. Under Filter scroll down and select the PubMed (NLM) filter. Under To: select the
group you want to import the files into. You can use the unfiled group or you can create
a new group at this time.
6. Click on the Import button to complete importing the records into the selected EndNote
7. You can then move to that library to verify that the records were imported.