Courthouse squareoutreach
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

Like this? Share it with your network

Share

Courthouse squareoutreach

on

  • 172 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
172
Views on SlideShare
172
Embed Views
0

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0

0 Embeds 0

No embeds

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment
  • HelloThis will be talk about the Historic Courthouse Square in Macomb.We will be looking at buildings and talking about some of the history of the buildings.Shown will be some old photographs and some new photographs of the buildings and it will be as if we were going on a walking tour around the square.
  • As we look at these buildings keep in mind that every building tells a storyEach of these stories are a part of the history of Macomb
  • The route of this walking tour begins from the Western Illinois Museum,Proceeds in a northerly direction,Turns east and looks at buildings on the south side of the squareThenTurns to look at the east side of the squareThenGoes north again to the north side of the squareThenTurns to look at the west side of the square
  • So let us start the tour!First -- a few facts McDonough County was established in 1826.The city of Macomb was founded in 1831.The courthouse square has been here since the very beginning of the city of Macomb.The first business on the square opened in 1833.First buildings on the square were made of wood.In 1855, the railroad was established in town, which caused expansion and growth around the Courthouse Square.Brick bldgs. began to be built around the square replacing wooden bldgs.Many of the now existing brick bldgs. around the square are from the 19th century - many are over 100 years old.In the 19th century, Macomb was a vibrant, bustling business center of the county and the Courthouse Square was the hub of business activity.Let us now look at some of the buildings
  • Advanced Rehab Building Address: 130 S. Lafayette Currently: Two thirds Advanced Rehab and Sports Medicine, and one third West Central Illinois Special Education Cooperative office When first built this building was known as the Zahren Building, because of the name near the roofline. Notice the name on the building It was built by Henry P. Zahren in 1927Zahren proudly put his name on the front of the building. He was a successful businessman and an entrepreneur saying “Hey this is MY building!”
  • Here in 1928 a rooftop garden restaurant opened with an outdoor dance hall.It featured local and nationally known performers   Colored lights strung from white posts created an enchanting atmosphere for the customers, who could waltz to tunes. Music would float over the neighborhood and folks on Lafayette Street would sit on their front porches and hear the music wafting on the breezes.One of the performers who played here was a young Lawrence WelkHere is the ad from the Macomb Daily Journal of July 6, 1931 forLawrence Welk playing at the Zahren Roof Garden
  •   December 1928-1939: Kline Department Store Note the Klines sign on store in this photo 1939-1983 and October 1995-March 31, 1999: Sears Department Store  
  • As a successful businessman, Zahren built his family a home in Macomb – a big substantial house near the university it is now used as the Alumni HouseAs someone who lived in a grand home and liked to put his name on the building he builtIt reminds me of somebody else…
  • Donald Trump also likes to live in grand homes and put his name on his buildings…Perhaps we can think that Macomb had its own Donald Trump back in the 1920s with Henry P. Zahren?
  • Across the street from the Zahren buildingNotice the names on the top of buildings on the east side of the street, GRANDAS, LUTZ, NEYLON, SCHNARR this row of buildings was built in 1929 Similar 2-story brick style of buildingthe owners of these buildings put their names on their buildings tooJust like how Zahren had done 2 years earlierA kind of “copy-cat” architecture!
  • Town Square, formerly Louie’s Diner (previously Cookie’s Diner) Address --118 S. LafayetteCurrently a diner 1883 Built by City of Macomb Built as the first City Hall- city offices in this building The Public Library was housed on the 2nd floor. 
  • Here is what the bldg. originally looked like bldg. looks somewhat different from when it was first built, but the row of windows on the 2nd floor are still the same.notice the windows in the photo and how they are the same as the windows in the bldg. today  
  • As mentioned, the city offices were in this bldgalsoThe Public Library was housed here from 1883-1904In 1904 the library moved to its present locationthis large pocket door on the 2nd floormay be from the original library
  • Close up of the lock of the pocket doorNote the tulips above the lockThe butterflies surrounding the lockAnd hummingbirds below the lockAn example of the fine craftsmanship of this 19th century building
  • The second floor of this building has been chopped up into apartments.The pocket doors no longer function.The two parts of the pocket doors do not align anymore as the doors have beenpermanently nailed shut and the doors are used as a wall inside an apartment.
  • As mentioned this building was built as the first City Halland city offices were in this building The Police Dept. was located in this building.A view of what the Macomb police force looked like around the time when this building was built.
  • Note the building behind the carThe neon sign above the doorway says City Hall – Police Dept.The entrance to the Police Dept. was where the diner is nowThe location of the doorway has changed slightly
  • Police standing in front of the police station entrance
  • Besides the Police Dept. office, the City Jail was also in this bldg. Direct entrance to the jail was off the alley There were 4 jail cells, 2 were on the first floor and 2 on the second floor.First floor jail cells are now covered up by the diner kitchen
  • the 2 jail cells on the 2nd floor are still visible back behind where the apartments are locatedSolid iron bars and thick cement walls to prevent escapes
  • View of common wall between the cellsPossibly a stove was placed in this alcove – note flue in ceilingPossibly to warm both of the cells at the same time?
  • View of second cell
  • Iron plate makes up part of the flooring – to discourage breakouts?
  • On Nov. 29, 1930 3 police officers lost their lives in the line of duty at this location- Police Dept. headquarters How did it happen?Police had caught a criminal –Police had parked the police car at the alley in order to take him to the jail entrance, the police officers did not know the criminal had a gun hidden on him. As the police were taking the criminal out of the police car to escort him to the jail entrance, he mortally wounded the 3 officers, and he was in turn killed while trying to escape. Later all the wounded officers died
  • The marker by the alley gives the names of the 3 police officers and says “in tribute and to the memory of “On the side of what is currently Shiloh’s restaurant
  • As noted before – every building tells a story – this story is called“A diner is not always just a diner!”
  • Chicks Address:103-105 S South Side SquareCurrently a restaurant Since 2010: Chicks Previously Stuffed Aria Pizza 1894: Built by Vail Oakman and Clugston This is not the original brick front – it is is a recent additionOriginal structure is behind the new brick frontNote the windows – count them – five across
  • From 1920-1954 this was the site of the Macomb Clinic Note: the bldg. in this old photo looks very different from how the bldg. looks today –Note the windows – count them – five across same number of windows today – 5 windows -- the original structure of the bldg. remainsWhen this location was the Macomb Clinic the building was 2 stories, had 22 rooms with polished hardwood floors. The front façade was made of dark red Danville bricks  
  • From the 1960s through the 1990s it operated as Stite’s Pharmacy. Stites was a well-known local, civic-minded pharmacist. During this time the building had a different false front on it – this was later removed
  • Terrell TitleAddress: 117 South Side of squareCurrently title officeBuilt in 1861 by Goram and Charles Cottrell It was called the Cottrell BuildingIn 2010 a large fire consumed the bldg. next doornow where it once stood there is only a vacant lot.Terrell title building survived but now has a vacant lot next to it
  • The Cottrell building was built as a hardware store – Mr. Cottrell sold hammers, nails, lumberHe also sold larger items that farmers would use on the farm like plows and harnesses.Some items were so big they would not fit inside his store so he displayed them outside his store – lucky for him right next to his store was a vacant lot so he displayed his big items for sale in the vacant lot.So back in 1861 when the bldg. was first built, this bldg. had a vacant lot next to it – just like how it is now
  • Another view of vacant lot next to the Cottrell building
  • -So the story of this building is “history repeats itself”
  • The south side of the square shows how the look of the Square changes over timeView of south side from 1911
  • View of the south side of the square from 1975Front of Terrell’s is differentClinic front is differentAnd bldg. next to Terrell’s is gone
  • View of square from 2000 and 2010Note how buildings have changedFront of Terrell’s is different and then changesClinic front is different and then changesAnd bldg. next to Terrell’s is gone
  • LOOKING AT ARCHITECTURAL FEATURESTo appreciate the architectural history when looking at bldgs. in a business area -- do not look at the ground floorWhy? Because the ground floor is where restaurants, shops, offices, businesses are and the ground floor can get changed and renovated a lot – signs are added, awnings added- Paint, windows and doors changed-businesses want to make their entrances contemporary, inviting and attractive – keep up with the times. So the 1st floor can look very different from the upper stories of a bldg. So to get an idea of what a bldg. might have looked like when it was first built take a look at the 2nd floor or higher. Look up and see what the bldg. might have looked like originally. Look at the south side of the square buildings, from the Terrell Title bldg. down to Chicks –look at this whole row and you can imagine what this side of the square looked like back in the 19th century.See the long narrow windows on the 2nd floor.The windows give a clue about the bldg. Architectural historians study windows and can determine when a bldg. was built and in what style Long narrow windows like these on the south side of the square were the style in the 19th cent. Many bldgs. around the square have this type of windowwith a rounded arched top. So we can date them from the 19th century 
  • Randolph House  Address:1 to 5 East Side Square and 7-9 East Side SquareBuilt in 1857 –the oldest bldg. on the east side of the squareBuilt by William Randolph - William Randolph was a grocer, sheriff, circuit clerk, and state legislator.
  • In the 19th century this building was a fancy, thriving hotel -- the hotel provided a level of elegance almost unheard of in western Illinois. Bellboys carried luggage and there was a carriage shuttle to the train depot.
  • When it was built it was built in two parts Abe Lincoln slept here twice in 1858 when he was campaigning in the Illinois US Senate race against Stephen A. Douglas.There are 2 markers on the bldg. telling about Lincoln sleeping there. After Lincoln was assassinated the people of Macomb turned his room into a shrine. Kept the bed and furniture just as when he had slept there. It was a local historic site. It is the 4th window from the right on the top floor --marks his room- room 31.
  • This shows clearly how the building was built in two partsThe bldg. as it is now looks very different from how it looked when Lincoln stayed here. what we see now is only one-half of the original bldg. What happened to the other half?
  • One-half of the bldg. was demolished in 1937Why?So a new building could be built --a modern looking concrete-faced gray bldg. – originally this was a Woolworth’s
  • Only one-half of the original structure of the Randolph House Hotel remains today
  • This is what the Woolworth’s building looks like currently
  • The story of this building is that nothing stays the same
  • Sullivan and Taylor Coffee HouseAddress: 119-125 S. RandolphBuilt in 1895 by TaylorSullivan was grocer and later mayorBldg. recently repainted
  • Masonic Temple Building Address: 131-137 South RandolphAlso known as the Gamage BuildingBuilt by Joseph Gamage, a local grocer  Built in 1898 as an office building and has housed offices and businesses for over 100 years
  •  This building held the distinction of being the first four- story building on the square.  In1933 purchased by the Masons, they still use upper floors for meetingsOther floors used as office space and businesses 
  • McDonough County Courthouse  Built in1872 – this is actually the 3rd county courthouse First Courthouse was built in 1831 on the site of the Century 21 office Second Courthouse was built in 1835. Two stories tall, it was made of brick and had 11 rooms.  But by the 1860s the building began to have structural problems and needed to be replaced.
  • Plaque on side of courthouse for Lincoln’s speech when he spoke In Macomb
  • Sign about Lincoln’s visit
  •  Elijah E. Myers was architect of third courthouse Third Courthouse went $25,000 over budget   The Clock weighs 15,000 Pounds.    
  • The original design included a beautiful mansard roof with tin ornaments. Despite the roof’s distinctive style, it leaked and had to be replaced with the current style of roof in1889. 
  • A view comparing the original roof to the roof replacement
  • A view comparing the original roof to the roof replacement in 1976-78 the courthouse went through a complete restorationof the exterior and interior
  • Ball’s Barber Shop  There is only a marker to note the location of this bldg.  Address: 19-23 East Side Square The barbershop is not there – it was a frame bldg. – a brick bldg. has been built in its place– this brick bldg. was built in the 1870s and is currently the location of Pumo Insurance   
  •  The marker notes that this is the location of the first Macomb business owned by an African-American man, William H. Ball and his African-American partner, James B Field.From 1872 to approximately 1879 : Ball & Fields Barbers (owned by William H Ball and James B Fields) prospered as a successful barber business on the square. 
  • West Central Illinois Art Center   Address: 25-29 East side of Square Currently houses the West Central Illinois Art Center built in 1881- in separate stages from 1893-1938, the Wyne Department Store was on the ground floor and was a featured shopping destination of the square.
  • built in 1881- in separate stagesC. V. Chandler built the southern building partand the Masons built the northern part of the ground floor in 1881And in 1892 the Masons built the 3rd floors for both the northern and southern partsNotice the matching windows whichindicate that the two buildings were intended to harmonize with each other
  • The Wyne Department Store was called “The Big Store” and during the early years of the 20th c. held extravagant fashion shows.
  •  Another view of the Wyne store   
  • A tour of the interior of the Wyne building which is now the West Central Illinois Arts centerTour was led by Dave Dorsett
  • View of windows that have been covered up for many yearsOriginal glass has been preserved
  • Interior view
  • Original woodwork remains throughout the building
  • On the second floor of the bldg.Currently not in use – is in disrepair
  • Windows --note the size difference – One side of the bldg. had one size of window – the other side has slightly smaller windows
  • On the 3rd floor of the building in the Masonic Lodge meeting rooms
  • On the 3rd floor of the building in the Masonic Lodge meeting rooms
  • On the 3rd floor of the building in the Masonic Lodge meeting rooms
  • On the 3rd floor of the building in the Masonic Lodge meeting rooms
  • On the 3rd floor of the building in the Masonic Lodge meeting rooms
  • On the 3rd floor of the building in the Masonic Lodge meeting rooms
  • On the 3rd floor of the building in the Masonic Lodge meeting roomsMedallion in ceiling – presumably a chandelier hung from this?
  • After Wyne moved out , F.W. Woolworths, Kline’s, and Maurice’s, all retail establishments, occupied the building. A metal shield was put on the bldg. the metal “shield” protected the surface of the bldg. many stores on the square had these metal fronts during the 1950s-70s and some of these fronts remainThese metal fronts show how architectural “fashions” can change – at one time these metal facings were considered contemporary and modern and attractive – covering up the “antique” and “unattractive” brick fronts – now tastes have changed and currently we appreciate the original brick fronts
  • There have been many retail stores in the location
  • In 2008 the building became the West Central Illinois Arts CenterThe Art center wanted to return the building to its original condition and the shield was removedso the bldg. has now returned to its original façade-the bldg. has gone full circle-shows the evolution of the square – of a bldg. changing with the times and yet remaining the same – the architectural integrity remains
  • Century 21 Address 119 N Randolph Currently a real estate office 1998-present: Century 21 On this spot in 1835 was the location of Macomb’s first log courthouse  - note there is a plaque on the side of the bldg. Built in 1917 Façade was constructed of Bedford limestone, and the sidewalls were made of gray pressed brick. Greek columns on either side of an arched doorway.
  •  The lobby and check desks were made of French Tavernell marble.  The woodwork and furniture were made of dark mahogany. The vault had a steel door that weighed more than 8 tons. Lavish. 1936: air conditioning was installed. First installation of equipment of this sort in Macomb.  
  • In the 1930s, WPA Murals were painted on the second floor. They represent the agricultural, industrial, and medical aspects of the community.  The Union National Bank operated in this location from 1917 until 1997.  
  • McDonough County Voice Newspaper offices Address:203 N Randolph Currently newspaper offices In 1927 built as the Lamoine Hotel. The city fathers decided the city needed a “nice” hotel. Built by bonds bought by the citizens of Macomb. The Lamoine Hotel was the biggest community development project of the 1920s. It showed Macomb's commitment to the future.  
  •  From 1927-1987, it was the Lamoine Hotel. It was five stories tall and housed 86 rooms. The first floor had an elegant lobby, large and small dining rooms, a barbershop, soda fountain, and a Western Union telegraph office. Elegant dining and dancing.  
  • Probably the most famous visitor to the Lamoine Hotel was Amelia Earhart.Earhart visited Macomb on April 8, 1936 and stayed at the Lamoine HotelShe gave a talk at WIU to students and also spoke to an assembly at the hotel.She disappeared just over a year later in July 1937 somewhere over the Pacific Ocean
  • New Copperfield’s Bookstore & Countywide Office Supplies  Address:120 – 122 North Side Square October 2005-present: New Copperfield’s Bookstore 1989-present :Countywide Office Supplies Actually 2 separate bldgs. New Copperfields built in 1857, Office Supplies built in 1860 Brick fronts of bldgs. covered by modern metal fronting. 
  • From 1925 to 1988 this building was Ring’s Store.  Al Ring was the founder of the store and worked there for 56 years until his death in 1981.  This establishment sold high quality department store merchandise  Again, many stores on the square had these metal fronts during the 1950s-70s and some of these fronts remain, such as this one – it shows how architectural “fashions” can change – at one time these metal facings were considered contemporary and modern and attractive – covering up the “antique” and “unattractive” brick fronts – now tastes have changed and currently we appreciate the original brick fronts
  • Country Insurance-Keefer Building   Address: 100 North Side of Square Currently insurance office. Built in 1871 This building has had a long history of being a drugstore.From 1871 until 1989, for 118 years it was a drugstore it was one of the oldest continuously run type of business on the square and a landmark in Macomb.
  • 1871 drug store owned by the Keefer Brothers –largest drug store in the county 1912 the James Drug Store – had 10ft. long counter made of white Italian marble and the back bar was solid mahogany1913: J. E. James & Son Drug Store1920-1922: Zern Pharmacy 1924 -1960: Scott's Pharmacy    
  • Note corner building with 3 awnings – Keefer bldg.
  • Note bldg. on the corner
  • Oldest bldg. on the west side of square is believed to be the Allstate Bldg. built in 1854/55
  • This lithograph is from 1871 and shows the present Allstate bldg. and the bldg. that was originally next to it called Campbell’s Hall Campbell’s Hall stood where the R&R Spa bldg. now stands
  • R & R Spa   Address: 24 & 26 West Side of Square This brick bldg. was built in 1940 to house a J.C. Penney store. However, before the J.C. Penney bldg. was built, at this spot stood another brick building, built in 1856One of the earliest and biggest brick bldg. in Macomb, called Campbell's Hall  The building was a large structure that hosted minstrel shows, dances, lectures, and entertainment of all sorts It was Macomb's first entertainment hall, also designed to house various shops and offices. 
  •  In 1940, Campbell’s Hall was demolished to make way for the J.C. Penney store.Why?The reason the existing structure was torn down instead of renovated was at that time all Penney stores were required by company policy to be located in identical-style 2 story buildings
  • Shiloh’s Restaurant Address: 2 & 4 West Side SquareCurrently a restaurantBuilt by J. W. Thrasher in 1927
  • J.W. Thrasher was a businessman who sold hardware and furniture and radios.He had the brilliant marketing idea of including in his bldg. design huge 2nd floor display windows.So not only could he display merchandise in his 1st floor display windows but he could also use his 2nd floor windows to display merchandiseIn the 1950s this was Brenner’s Furniture Store2005 was Winslow Antiques, Secret Garden Restaurant2010 was Il Spazio’s RestaurantNow called Shiloh’s restaurant
  • We have now looked at bldgs all round the squareAnd have ended up almost back where we startedWe have talked about some of the stories of the bldgs.
  • What have we learned from looking at this bldgs. and talking about their stories? We have learned that since its beginnings in the 19th century, through the 20th and now into the 21st century The Square is/was/ and will continue to be, a central part of the community of Macomb We have learned that a lot has happened around the Square And the Square will continue to change with the times, and the bldgs. show those changes Also by looking at bldgs. and learning their stories we know the history of Macomb better.Thank you!

Courthouse squareoutreach Presentation Transcript

  • 1. EVERY BUILDING tellS A STORY
  • 2. Route of Walking Tourbegin at Western Illinois Museum,proceed North, turn East at corner, turn North at corner, turn West at corner, turn South at corner, end up back at Museum
  • 3. Walk out the front door!Start walking tour at theWestern Illinois Museum
  • 4. Advanced Rehab BuildingAddress: 130 S. Lafayette
  • 5. Lawrence Welk and hisNovelty OrchestraJuly 6, 1931
  • 6. 1929Zahren Building
  • 7. Note windowsTown Square Diner (previously Louie’s/Cookie’s Diner)Address: 118 S. Lafayette
  • 8. Note windows PHOTO UNKNOWN DATE
  • 9. Macomb Police Force c. 1899
  • 10. Macomb Police Chief Melvin Barclay 1947
  • 11. Macomb Police Officers at City Hall 1947
  • 12. Doors toback ofpolicestation –jailentrance
  • 13. Macomb Police Massacre Car Used in Shooting
  • 14. THIS STORY IS CALLEDA DINER IS NOT ALWAYS JUST A DINER
  • 15. Note windows Chicks Address: 103-105 S South Side Square
  • 16. Note windows 1922
  • 17. Jack Stites Pharmacy
  • 18. Terrell TitleAddress: 117 South Side of squareVacant lot
  • 19. Vacant lot where about 1873plows were Cottrell Hardware storedisplayed
  • 20. Vacant lot where plows were displayed
  • 21. THIS STORY IS CALLED HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF
  • 22. CLINIC1911 TERRELL’S GONE
  • 23. 1975 TERRELL’S CLINIC GONE
  • 24. TERRELL’SGONE 2000 CLINIC TERRELL’S 2010 CLINIC
  • 25. Note windows South side of the square Note windows
  • 26. 4th window from the right on the top floor is the room Lincoln slept in - room 31Randolph HouseAddress: 1 to 5 East Side Squareand 7-9 East Side Square
  • 27. See line 4th window from the right on the top floorEarly showing where is the room Lincoln slept in - room 311900s building was built in two parts ----------------------------
  • 28. ca. 1930----------------------------
  • 29. Demolished 1937one-half ofRandolphHouse Hotel
  • 30. 1937
  • 31. THIS STORY IS CALLED NOTHING STAYS THE SAME
  • 32. Sullivan & Taylor Coffee HouseAddress: 119-125 S. Randolph
  • 33. 4 stories tall! Masonic Temple Building Address: 131-137 South Randolph Also known as the Gamage Building
  • 34. 4 stories tall!
  • 35. McDonough County Courthouse
  • 36. Southwest corner ofthe courthouse
  • 37. Southeastcorner of the courthouse lawn
  • 38. 1873 Mansard roof
  • 39. Mansard roof 1873
  • 40. ----------------
  • 41. --- ------- ---- ----
  • 42. Ball’s Barber ShopAddress: 19-23 East Side Square
  • 43. Barbershop polephoto unknown date
  • 44. Wyne sign – The Wyne Dry Goods Co.West Central Illinois Art CenterAddress: 25-29 East side of Square
  • 45. MASONS BUILD 3RD FLOOR 1892MASONSBUILD 1881 C.V. CHANDLER BUILDS 1881
  • 46. 1920
  • 47. Wyne sign 1929
  • 48. Metal facingcovering front of about 1970building and the Wyne sign
  • 49. 2004
  • 50. June 2009metal sign removed
  • 51. Century 21Address: 119 N Randolph
  • 52. 1917
  • 53. about 1940
  • 54. McDonough County Voice Newspaper officesAddress: 203 N Randolph
  • 55. New Copperfield’s Bookstore &Countywide Office SuppliesAddress: 120 – 122 North Side Square
  • 56. 1960s
  • 57. Note windowsCountry Insurance-Keefer BuildingAddress: 100 North Side of Square
  • 58. Note windows 1873
  • 59. ca. 1910
  • 60. 1922
  • 61. Allstate BuildingAddress: 28 West side of square
  • 62. PRESENT ALLSTATE BUILDINGNOT THERE
  • 63. Note windowsR & R SpaAddress: 24 & 26 West Side of Square
  • 64. Note windows ca. 2000
  • 65. 2nd floor display windows Shiloh’s Restaurant Address: 2 & 4 West Side Square
  • 66. 2nd floor display windows
  • 67. Macomb Courthouse Square
  • 68. What can we learn from historic
  • 69. All Historical Photographs Courtesy ofArchives and Special Collections Western Illinois University Libraries