• What is a film score?
• How can music impact a film or scene?
• What is the difference between music and sound?
• Describe a range of different types of music scores
• Describe how a music score can create atmosphere and heighten
• Discuss and use terminology to differentiate between music and
• What is the most memorable piece of music you can
remember from film?
• What is it about the music that is memorable?
• Mine is Indiana Jones and the
Raiders of the Lost Ark.
• Can you identify the genres of the films from the pieces of
music being played?
• Can you name the films?
Sound in Film
• This is divided into two forms for film:
• Non Diegetic
Sounds that can be heard in the diegesis (the world) of the film.
Dialogue, explosions, music on a car radio etc.
Ten minutes describe the various diegetic sounds used within the
Sound within this category can not be added, it is worth noting
however that eve if the sound was created in post production
like a gun shot if it belongs in the world of the movie then it
remains diegetic sound.
Sounds that are outside the diegesis (the world) of the film.
Soundtrack, External voiceover
• Many films will use narrators like Stand By Me or the
• Ten minutes identify the use of non-diegetic sound.
Sounds that reflect what can be seen on screen.
e.g. A shot of a door closing and the sound of the slam.
• Name the synchronous sounds within this scene
Sounds that don’t reflect the images on screen.
e.g. a police siren in the distance
• Identify the sounds.
Sounds that are juxtaposed with images that are displayed on
e.g. violence on screen supported by happy music
What do you think the impact is of using classical music with
the violence in the scene.
Music and Sound
• Four main areas of meaning that can be created through sound
either diegetic or non-diegetic:
• Character – use of a musical motif can help suggest the type of
character either good or bad.
• Genre – the type of music can help to identify the genre of the film,
can you give an example.
• Setting – The style of music or ambiance can suggest the place.
Westerns the use of emptiness wind for the tumbleweeds etc.
• Narrative – the story and event being shown, it can often create
atmosphere and tension.
Impact of Musical Scores
• Watch the scenes and identify the diegetic and non diegetic
• Analyse how tension and atmosphere is created in the scene?
• How does the music change as the scene progresses?
• What does the use of music suggest about the character?
• Discuss any points of interest of the music relating to setting,
or genre where relevant?
• Scene 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iovzthD9fFg
• Scene 2 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VP5jEAP3K4
• Scene 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPeHFDxKUP4
• Complete the analysis of the three extracts on this
powerpoints, it can be found on the blog:
• This blog will contain all resources and information for the