Chapter 21-1 Species Interactions
Notes and Organizer
A predator’s survival depends on
In a defense called
The harmless mimic
Animals that eat plants are called
Through natural selection
Physical defenses such as
Plants have also evolved
They synthesize chemicals
Many medicines are
Competition results from
One species uses
Competition and Community Structure
The finches do not
Competition is most intense between
Competition is less intense
Mutualism and Commensalism
Some mutualistic relationships are
One example is
The buffalo is not
1. Explain how predators differ from parasites. Give an example of each kind of
2. Some harmless flies resemble bees and wasps. What is this mechanism called?
Evaluate its importance as a defense mechanism.
3. Describe two chemical defenses of plants.
4. Explain the advantage of character displacement and give an example.
5. How can similar birds occupy the same area without occupying the same niche?