“The natural language of all worship”
“an imitation of imitation”
“painting that speaks”
“a criticism of life”
“a way of taking life by the throat”
“an escape from emotion”
“the antithesis of science”
“Poems are not language, but the content
of the language” (Mary Oliver).
“It is a kind of possible love affair between
something like the heart (that courageous
but also shy factor of emotion) and the
learned skills of the conscious mind” (Mary
“Poetry is a river; many voices travel in it;
poem after poem moves along in the
exciting crests and falls of the river waves”
“Poetry is memorable speech” (W.H.
“Poems obey no rules and serve no
single purpose; rather they adapt to the
distinct needs of specific times and
individual poets… Any definition we
formulate precludes others and
imprisons us prematurely in a partial
understanding of poetry” (Carol Burke
and Molly Best Tinsley).
“an extreme emotional passage that
runs throughout the human body
internally releasing the full extent of
one’s true being” (Jose C.)
Types of Poetry
• tells a story.
• Common types of narrative poetry include ballads and
• highly musical verse that expresses the emotions of the
• Common types are sonnets, odes, free verse and elegies.
• verse that relies heavily on dramatic elements such as
monologue, or dialogue.
• Two types of dramatic poetry are dramatic monologue