Health and Wellness Trends
Trends in the Canadian Market
Presented by: Ali Shayesteh
19 of September 2012
A Growing Trend
• Why is health and wellness gaining so much
• Canadians are aware of the importance of
having a healthier lifestyle.
• «Consumers are much more educated […]»
• Projected sales: 200US$ billion by 2015.
• Women: aware of un-healthy food and high
• Baby boomers: want to maintain their lifestyle.
• Better-for-you: Food with reduced fat, sugar or
• Naturally healthy: Unprocessed or minimally
• Organic Foods: Food produced without
chemical fertilizers, synthetics
pesticides, hormones, irradiation and genetic
• Worldwide, the organic food market has grown
to a US$27.1 billion global enterprise.
• By 2015, sales of organic food and beverages
industry is predicted to rise up to 33%.
• In 2010, organic foods were the highest growing
trend in Canada with a 5.4% growth rate.
• Sales are especially important in the Canadian
organic packaged food market.
• Consumers view organic products as
environmentally friendly and healthy for their
• Higher income consumers are the dominant
consumer group for this trend.
• People consider nuts as a healthy snack.
• Nuts are a good substitute for meat.
Domestic Consumption of Nuts
Domestic Consumption of
• The consumption of dried fruit in Canada has
grown with the growth of immigration.
• Fresh fruits are still preferred by Canadians.
• The consumption of dried fruit should increase
by 13% in the next 15 years.
• Very popular when packaged.
• Nuts and dried fruit are interesting because they
are not only healthy, they are also tasty.
• «An increasing number of consumers are
purchasing high protein snacks as meal
Why are healthy snacks
• Snacks are considered
• Diets give birth to new
• Increasing number of
customers are eating smaller
meals which leads to more
Grains and Seeds
• The growing popularity of raw food is likely to
increase the demand of pumpkin seeds, flax
seeds, hemp seeds.
• More restaurants are specializing in raw and
veggie food commerce.
• Quinoa and amaranth, gluten free grains, have seen
their sales rise in the last years.
• These «ancient grains» are nutritious substitute for
rice and pasta.
• More Canadian are suffering of celiac disease. The
gluten free market has grown by 28% in 2005 to
• The dietary food and cosmetic industry are
main target when it comes to super food.
• USA will see the sales for super food increase
by 21% by 2015.
• Maca finds its place as a powder and is
used as a dietary supplement.
• Lucuma is used in juice, dietary
supplement and cosmetic.
• Chia seeds oil is used for cosmetic. The
grains is highly valued for its high content
• The demand of cocoa products has continuously
increased by an average of 6% per year since
• Cadbury launched fair-trade dairy milk bars in
Canada in 2009.
• Leadings retailers are launching their own
organic products, often cheaper than the
• Since 2002, Tootsi Impex has integrated a fine
selection of more than 150 organic products.
• In 2010, Tootsi Impex launched elan bio
• Tootsi Impex is always looking for new avenues
to answer the Canadians families needs.
• Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (2011). «Health and Wellness trends in Canada
and the World», [ref. August 28, 2012], < http://www.ats-sea.agr.gc.ca/inter/4367-
• Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada. «Canadian food trend to 2020 – A long Range
Consumer Outlook». [ref. August 29, 2012], < http://www4.agr.gc.ca/AAFC-
• International Trade Center (2012). «The North American Market for Natural Products:
Prospects for Andean and African products», Geneva, 99 p.
• International Cocoa Organization (2006). «A study on the market for organic
cocoa», London, [ref. August 29, 2012], < http://www.icco.org/about-us/international-
• Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (2009). «The market for
organic and fair-trade cocoa», Rome, [ref. August 29, 2012],
• International Nuts and Dried Fruit Council. «The Database», [ref. August 29, 2012], <