Mention that women want to promote healthy habit to their children. Also, mention the example that in Quebec, junk food is being eliminated from schools.
Also mention the fact that hemp and flax seeds are valued by customers for their high content in omega-3 fatty acids. Considered to be BETTER-FOR-YOU products. Mention two examples: Crudessence in Montreal who makes all kind of crazy meals, the example of the cheese cake with cashew milk.Also mention the example from Farhad: the veggie burger made of walnut, seeds..etc.
ADEX - convencion organicos 12
Health and Wellness Trends
Trends in the Canadian Market
Presented by: Ali Shayesteh
19 of September 2012
A Growing Trend
• Why is health and wellness gaining so much
• Canadians are aware of the importance of
having a healthier lifestyle.
• «Consumers are much more educated […]»
• Projected sales: 200US$ billion by 2015.
• Women: aware of un-healthy food and high
• Baby boomers: want to maintain their lifestyle.
• Better-for-you: Food with reduced fat, sugar or
• Naturally healthy: Unprocessed or minimally
• Organic Foods: Food produced without
chemical fertilizers, synthetics
pesticides, hormones, irradiation and genetic
• Worldwide, the organic food market has grown
to a US$27.1 billion global enterprise.
• By 2015, sales of organic food and beverages
industry is predicted to rise up to 33%.
• In 2010, organic foods were the highest growing
trend in Canada with a 5.4% growth rate.
• Sales are especially important in the Canadian
organic packaged food market.
• Consumers view organic products as
environmentally friendly and healthy for their
• Higher income consumers are the dominant
consumer group for this trend.
• People consider nuts as a healthy snack.
• Nuts are a good substitute for meat.
Domestic Consumption of Nuts
Domestic Consumption of
• The consumption of dried fruit in Canada has
grown with the growth of immigration.
• Fresh fruits are still preferred by Canadians.
• The consumption of dried fruit should increase
by 13% in the next 15 years.
• Very popular when packaged.
• Nuts and dried fruit are interesting because they
are not only healthy, they are also tasty.
• «An increasing number of consumers are
purchasing high protein snacks as meal
Why are healthy snacks
• Snacks are considered
• Diets give birth to new
• Increasing number of
customers are eating smaller
meals which leads to more
Grains and Seeds
• The growing popularity of raw food is likely to
increase the demand of pumpkin seeds, flax
seeds, hemp seeds.
• More restaurants are specializing in raw and
veggie food commerce.
• Quinoa and amaranth, gluten free grains, have seen
their sales rise in the last years.
• These «ancient grains» are nutritious substitute for
rice and pasta.
• More Canadian are suffering of celiac disease. The
gluten free market has grown by 28% in 2005 to
• The dietary food and cosmetic industry are
main target when it comes to super food.
• USA will see the sales for super food increase
by 21% by 2015.
• Maca finds its place as a powder and is
used as a dietary supplement.
• Lucuma is used in juice, dietary
supplement and cosmetic.
• Chia seeds oil is used for cosmetic. The
grains is highly valued for its high content
• The demand of cocoa products has continuously
increased by an average of 6% per year since
• Cadbury launched fair-trade dairy milk bars in
Canada in 2009.
• Leadings retailers are launching their own
organic products, often cheaper than the
• Since 2002, Tootsi Impex has integrated a fine
selection of more than 150 organic products.
• In 2010, Tootsi Impex launched elan bio
• Tootsi Impex is always looking for new avenues
to answer the Canadians families needs.
• Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (2011). «Health and Wellness trends in Canada
and the World», [ref. August 28, 2012], < http://www.ats-sea.agr.gc.ca/inter/4367-
• Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada. «Canadian food trend to 2020 – A long Range
Consumer Outlook». [ref. August 29, 2012], < http://www4.agr.gc.ca/AAFC-
• International Trade Center (2012). «The North American Market for Natural Products:
Prospects for Andean and African products», Geneva, 99 p.
• International Cocoa Organization (2006). «A study on the market for organic
cocoa», London, [ref. August 29, 2012], < http://www.icco.org/about-us/international-
• Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (2009). «The market for
organic and fair-trade cocoa», Rome, [ref. August 29, 2012],
• International Nuts and Dried Fruit Council. «The Database», [ref. August 29, 2012], <