• An Acoustic Guitar produces sound which
is not created or enhanced by electricity.
• The Acoustic Guitar has 6 Strings
The notes are tuned to the notes E B G D A
•Concepts associated with Guitar playing are
•Strumming Plucking Chord
Acoustic Guitar in Music
Acoustic Guitar can play various styles of
music, such as :
• Folk Song
• Pop Song
Electric Guitars have 6 strings the same
as the Acoustic (E B G D A E)
However, unlike the Acoustic Guitar, the
Electric Guitar must be connected to an
amplifier to create sound electronically.
Electric guitars can be played in the same two
ways as Acoustic Strumming and Plucking
RHYTHM GUITAR - this is the name given to
the guitar Strumming the chords.
LEAD GUITAR - this is the name given to the
guitar playing single note melodies and playing
RIFF - This is a repeated pattern often played
• Bass Guitars normally have only 4 strings
• They provide the low notes and do not
• The Bassist uses their fingers to Pluck the
string or sometimes their thumb to SLAP
• To produce low
notes the strings on
the bass guitar are
much thicker and
longer than those on
an electric guitar.
• The strings are
G D A E
ROCK AND ROLL
• Heavy Metal is a branch of rock music which can sound
extremely harsh and angry.
• This harsh and dirty tone is created by a guitar technique
known as distortion.
• Another technique common to HEAVY METAL is
Popular Heavy Metal Bands:
A popular method of
playing the electric
guitar is by….
Some popular rock artists include :
• The Beatles
I wonder which
type of people
• Jimi Hendrix Rock music
• Chord – two or more notes played together.
• Strumming – a plectrum or the finger-nails are pulled across the
strings to create a succession of notes.
• Distortion – a muddy, distorted sound produced via amp.
• Plucking – the strings of the instrument are plucked to create a