Usage of the brand DETTOL gives rise to many
emotions in the consumers’ minds. From making
them feel safe and secure about the well‐being of
their family to making the mother feel that she
has done the best for her family, the brand
evokes positive imageries and emotions. Thus, it
is only fitting that the brand’s tagline says ‐ Be
Reckitt Benckiser India Ltd(RBIL)
• Reckitt Benckiser India Ltd (RBIL) is a fully owned subsidiary of Reckitt
Benckiser Plc., world’s No.1 Company in household cleaning
• Reckitt Benckiser PLC is a British multinational consumer goods company
headquartered in Slough, United Kingdom.
• Formed in December 1999 from the merger of Reckitt & Colman PLC and
• It has operations in over 60 countries and its products are sold in over 180
• Reckitt Benckiser is listed on the London Stock Exchange It had a market
capitalisation of approximately £23.2 billion as of 23 December 2011, the
20th‐largest of any company with a primary listing on the London Stock
• RBIL,manufactures and markets a wide range of products in Personal
care, Pest control, Shoe care, Antiseptics, Surface care, Fabric care
and other categories.
• Well‐known brands of RBIL are Dettol, Mortein, Harpic, Cherry
Blossom, Lizol, Disprin, Robin powder, Colin etc.
• Most of these brands are either number 1 or number 2 in their
respective categories in India.
Dettol Body Wash
• Dettol body wash was launched in 2005 for further penetration into related
categories and progression into the urban market.
• The Body Wash market is a small but fast growing category. Its category size was
Rs. 16 Crores in 2007. For the last 3 years, the CAGR has been near 30%
• The current user profile of Body Wash is upper SECs who reside mainly in Metros.
The user profile currently also has a slight female skew and the association of the
product usage is with feelings of indulgence and ‘pampering oneself’. The
category is considered ‘premium’ due to its high priced products.
• Given the size of the market, the support behind the category has been overall at
a rather low level.
• The overall penetration in India is a meagre 1%. However, trends in other semideveloped markets show that shower gels clearly the body-wash market of the
future. In many developed countries, use of soap is changed to body wash format
(almost to 50%).
4 Variants in Body Wash
• Extreme Body Wash : Dettol Skincare products introduces all New Dettol Original Body
wash is specially formulated for everyday use. Dettol Original Body wash formula is 10
times better at fighting germs compared to ordinary soaps. So give Dettol's trusted
protection to the entire family.
• Aqua Body Wash : Dettol Skincare Body wash offers the perfect balance between your
beauty and personal hygiene needs. Dettol Skincare Body wash is formulated specifically
to ensure that you don't have to compromise on your beauty needs to get Dettol's
• Nourishing Body Wash :Dettol Skincare products introduces all New Dettol Nourishing
Body wash is specially formulated with Natural essence for everyday use. Dettol
Nourishing Body wash is formulated specifically to ensure that you don't have to
compromise on your nourishment to get Dettol's trusted protection
• Soothing Body Wash : Dettol Skincare products introduces all New Dettol Soothing Body
wash is specially formulated with Natural essence for everyday use. Dettol Soothing
Body wash is formulated specifically to ensure that you don't have to compromise on
your nourishment to get Dettol's trusted protection
Nourishing Body wash
Aqua Body wash
Soothing Body wash
• Lux: It launched the MTV range – Friday Night Fever and ran spots on
• Palmolive: It has launched the ‘Spa’ range with two variants –
Thermal and Firming
• Dove: Has picked up in the body wash market and launched a new
product in 2007
Dettol Body Wash-Targeting
• Targeted 6 major metros
• Mass Marketing
• Targeted at mainly Man and Women from ( 18 to 40 ).
Dettol launched its campaign in May’07 ‘Pleasure for the
Senses, Protection for the Body’. Currently, Dettol Body Wash
is distributed by the company in the top six metros and in the
self-service stores only.