• Look like the equation of a line, but
have , , , or instead of =.
• Solutions are ordered pairs (x, y) that
make the inequality true.
• Is (0, 1) a solution of 2x + 3y 5 ?
• Is (4, -1) a solution of 2x + 3y 5 ?
• Is (-3, 2) ?
Graphing Linear Inequalities
•Pretend the inequality is an = sign.
•Graph the line like normal except:
▫ < and > use dashed line
▫ and use solid line
•Pick a point and plug it in to decide
where to shade.
•Shade the side that is TRUE!
Writing Inequalities from Graphs
1. Write the equation of the line.
Use y = mx + b if possible.
2. Choose a point (x, y) from the
shaded area and plug it in.
3. Replace = sign with an inequality
that makes the statement true.
4. For dashed lines choose < or >,
for solid lines choose or .