WHAT ARE ELECTIONS?
Elections are the mechanism
by which the people can choose
their representatives at regular intervals
of time and change them if they wish to do
• It helps us to choose who will
make law for us.
• Voters can choose the party whose
policies will guide the government.
• It is not physically possible for the
whole population to sit together and
The country is divided into
different areas for purposes of
These areas are called electoral
The representative elected from
each constituency is called a
Member of Parliament.
Electoral constituencies that are
reserved for candidates from
Scheduled Castes and Scheduled
Tribes are known as reserved
WHO CAN VOTE?
• Any citizen over the age of 18
caste, creed, religion or
gender can cast vote.
• Those who are convicted of certain
criminal offences are not allowed to
• It is a powerful body which conducts
elections in our country
• It implements the code of conduct
and punishes any candidate or party
that violates it.
• Election commission is free from