2. introductionMultimedia is usually recorded and played, displayed, or accessed by information content processing devices, such as computerized and electronic devices, but can also be part of a live performance. Multimedia devices are electronic media devices used to store and experience multimedia content. Multimedia is distinguished from mixed media in fine art; by including audio, for example, it has a broader scope. The term "rich media" is synonymous for interactive multimedia. Hypermedia
3. definitionMultimedia can be defined generically as any combination of two or more media such as sound, images, text, animation, and video.For educational technology purposes, multimedia refers to computer-based systems that use associative linkages to allow users to navigate and retrieve information stored in a combination of text, sounds, graphics, video, and other media.
4. types of MultiMediaused on Web pagesMultimedia refers to integrating content such as text, images, video, maps and music to a website. Multimedia can be used to make a website dynamic or interactive, or it can be a traffic-building tool to make a web page more interesting to online users.Streaming Multimedia Streaming multimedia such as video and music can be added to web pages to show live feeds and real-time happenings.
5. cont………… Videos Videos, like animation, are a key component of multimedia and result in greater interest and enjoyment for learners when incorporated in e-Learning courses. Although the definition of a video is quite well known in today’s society, it is still important to review how literature describes this type of multimedia. Video is the “technology of capturing, recording, processing, transmitting and reconstructing moving pictures, electronic signals, or digital media, primarily for viewing on television or computer monitors.
6. Cont…………..AUDIO Audio, or sound, is a multimedia tool that is frequently used for the purpose of e-Learning courses and training. In general terms, sound can be described as the “vibrations that travel through air and can be heard by humans”.M usic Music such as MP3 files are a popular multimedia used on web pages. Music can be added to play in the background when a visitor comes to a web page or as a downloadable link.
7. Cont……….Flash Flash is a multimedia tool that can enhance website capabilities or be used to display audience-capturing advertisementsSlideshow Slideshows are a popular multimedia used on web pages that can display a series of photographic images.Widgets Widgets are blog plug-ins, such as Apture, that can add multimedia files to any website or blog. A widget would display live feed links from new websites, videos or maps from websites such as Google Maps.
8. Cont………… ANIM ION AT The concept of animation is a key component of multimedia. Many e-Learning courses and learning programs have utilized animation to convey information and optimize learner engagement. Animation by definition is the “ A picture or diagram that shows a process or procedure using movement and color. Some current animation technology choices are animated .gifs, and Macromedia Flash.”
9. AdvAntAges of MultiMediA Increases learning effectiveness.Is more appealing over traditional, lecture-based learning methods.Offers significant potential in improving personal communications, education and training efforts.Reduces training costs.Easy to use.
10. Cont……….Tailors information to the individual.Provides high-quality video images & audio.Offers system portability.Frees the teacher from routine tasks.Gathers information about the study results of the student.
11. .multimeDiaExpensiveNot always easy to configureRequires special hardwareNot always compatible
12. top uses for multimeDiaWe all know that multimedia is a powerful way to entertain, inform and market to people.Major delivery mechanisms of your multimedia presentation include DVD and CD ROM,computers, the internet, games and displays.The top uses for multimedia are for presentations, sales and marketing, education and training, and entertainment.
13. Cont…………… EntertainmentMultimedia has been used to give life to virtual reality and game development of all sorts for years. Animation, music, sound, graphics and lots of multimedia programming are used to give life to these two huge industries.There are many variations on the themes we’ve just outlined, but these should give you a brief survey of the major uses for multimedia.
14. Cont……… Sales and MarketingThe use of multimedia at kiosks at trade shows are used to entertain and educate. They can also be programmed with database functions to gather information from participants for future marketing efforts. Businesses design flexible and interactive multimedia presentations to describe their products and services for their sales force as well.
15. Cont…… PresentationsPresentations can be designed so that the presenter can go from one subject to another, based on a client or audience’s interests or feedback. Sometimes a little multimedia eye candy can go a long way towards keeping your audience alert and amused, especially when the content of your presentation is technical.
16. Cont…… Displays and KiosksMultimedia can also be used in stores to entertain, educate, engage and market to customers. Whether your customers are standing in line waiting to check out, at a trade show or walking or driving on the street, multimedia can be used to engage, motivate and inspire your potential client to make a purchasing decision.
17. EduCational BEnEfits ofMultiMEdiaProvide students with opportunities to represent and express their prior knowledge."Allow students to function as designers, using tools for analyzing the world, accessing and interpreting information, organizing their personal knowledge, and representing what they know to others."Multimedia applications engage students and provide valuable learning opportunities."Encourages deep reflective thinking.Create personally meaningful learning opportunities.
18. Cont…….Students work with the same information from four perspectives:1) as researcher, they must locate and select the information needed to understand the chosen topic. 2) as authors, they must consider their intended audience and decide what amount of information is needed to give their readers an understanding of the topic. 3) as designers, they must select the appropriate media to share the concepts selected.4) as writers, they must find a way to fit the information to the container including the manner of linking the information for others to retrieve.