1. Business Analysis DATA WAREHOUSINGREPORTING AND QUERY TOOLS AND APPLICATION Dr. Himanshu Hora SRMS College of Engg. & Tech., Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh (INDIA)
2. Reporting and Query ToolsTools Categories : Reporting Managed Query Executive Information System OLAP Data Mining
3. Reporting Tools Production Reporting Tools Companies generate regular operational reports or support high volume batch jobs, such as calculating and printing pay checks. Report Writers (Desktop tools for end users) Crystal Reports / Actuate Reporting System Users design and run reports without having to rely on the IS department.
4. Managed Query Tools Managed query tools shield end users from the complexities of SQL and database structures by inserting a “metalayer” between users and the database. Metalayer : Software that provides subject-oriented views of a database and supports point-and-click creation of SQL.
5. Executive Information System Tools First deployed on mainframes. Predate report writer and managed query tools. Build customized, graphical decision support Apps. or “briefing books”. Provides high level view of the business and access to external sources e.g. custom, on-line news feed. EIS Apps highlight exceptions to business activity or rules by using color-coded graphics.
6. OLAP Tools Provide an intuitive way to view corporate data. Provide navigation through the hierarchies and dimensions with the single click. Aggregate data along common business subjects or dimensions. Users can drill down, across, or up levels.
7. Data Mining Tools Provide insights into corporate data that are not easily discerned with managed query or OLAP tools. Use a variety of statistical and AI algorithms to analyze the correlation of variables in data. Interesting patterns and relationship to investigate. IBM’s Intelligent Miner, DataMind Corp.’s DataMind
8. ApplicationsNeed for applicationsSome tools and Apps can format the retrieved data into easy-to-readreports, while others concentrate on the on-screen presentation. Asthe complexity of questions grows, these tools may rapidly becomeinefficient.Application often take the form of custom-developed screens andreports that retrieve frequently used data and format it in apredefined standardized way.
9. Cognos Impromptu Impromptu is database reporting tool from Cognos Corporation. Solution for interactive database reporting. Object oriented architecture ensures control and administrative consistency across all users and reports. Easy-to-use graphical user interface. In terms of scalability, support single user reporting on personal data, or thousand of users reporting on data from large warehouse.
10. Cognos Impromptu Unified query and reporting interface Object-oriented architecture Complete integration with PowerPlay Scalability Security and Control Data presented in a business context Over 70 predefined report templates Frame-based reporting Business-relevant reporting Database-independent catalogs
11. Application Development Tools PowerBuilder Forte (Forte Software Inc.) Information Builders : Cactus FOCUS Fusion
12. Cactus Enterprise-class, client/server development environment. Create applications of any size and scope combination of transaction processing, decision support, and batch processing. Primary components of Apps Presentation layer Business logic Data access Easy to learn and use. No prior knowledge required of HTML, JAVA or complex 3GLs.
13. FOCUS Fusion Multidimensional database technology for OLAP and Data warehousing. FOCUS Fusion provides • Fast query and reporting • Comprehensive, graphics-based administration • Integrated copy management facilities • Open access via industry-standard protocols