•The romantic poets were trying to
create a new kind of poetry that
emphasized intuition over reason.
•They also preferred to write about
nature and the countryside to writing
about the city.
• People tend to be as interested in
the private lives of the romantic
poets as they are in their poetry.
• This is probably because they were
writing about personal matters in
SIX main Romantic
• William Blake (1757-1827)
• William Wordsworth (1770-1850)
• Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834)
• Lord Byron (1788-1724)
• Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)
• John Keats (1795-1821)
Wordsworth was one
of the first and most
well-known of the
the value of
experience an the
• Daffodils is a typical romantic poem.
• It describes how the natural world
can have a calming, positive effect on
the mood of people who take the
time to appreciate it.
Samuel T. Coleridge
Poetry often deals with
Coleridge wanted to give
the supernatural a
colouring of everyday
The Rime of AncientThe Rime of Ancient
Coleridge describes the natural and
supernatural events that occur
during the adventure.
The events of the poem take place in an
ghostly atmosphere and the reader
often feels he is moving from a real to
an unreal world and back again.
• Keats was only 26 when he died but
he still wrote many of the most
famous poems in English.
• During his lifetime, he was never
appreciated by literary critics.
• Shelley claimed that a particularly
uncomplimentary attack on one of his
poems had in fact killed him
• To Autumn has three stanzas.
• Like Daffodils, it is a celebration of
the natural world.
• But its rhymes are unusual….
1788 - 1824
Byron was famous
for being extremely
handsome as well as
being a poet.
He was also famous
for having lots of
Poem :We’ll go no more a-
• We’ll go no more a-roving is quite a
• “a-roving” means chasing women.
• (Byron wrote this poem when he was
Set to Music
• The simple structure of this poem,
makes it ideal to set to music.
• The sad, nostalgic subject matter
makes it particularly powerful as a
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Like Byron, Shelley
had an interesting
Byron and Shelley
were good friends.
Percy Bysshe Shelley
. He was an individualist
and idealist who
and the Christian faith
and rebelled against all
forms of tyranny.
Poem : Ozymandias
• Ozymandias is a poem about trying to
preserve a legacy after death.
• In the poem the once powerful
leader, Ozymandias, is reduced to a
broken statue lying in the sand.
• Romanticism was a reaction against
• Romanticism asserted the power of
• Romanticism reflected a deep
appreciation of the beauties of
• Romanticism emphasized the
importance of the subjective
• Romanticism was idealistic.
• Romanticism was egalitarian