2. Lesson Objectives• To know who uses the savanna and why• To understand why their practises have changed• To imagine you are a farmer and explain how their lives have changed
3. The Main Users – Pg 58+59• A pastoralist – A pastoralist is someone who rears grass eating animals for a living and they move with them to find grass to eat – This is a sustainable farming method because it allows the land to recover, rather than over grazing.
4. If you try to farm more intensively, the problem starts when….• Put the following sentences into a flow diagram • You move to a new patch of land • But your family needs food or it will starve….. • ….. And burn the scrub and plant more crops. • ….and without any shelter , it dries up and gets blown away. • So your crops grow poorer and poorer • But over time the soil loses all its nutrients
5. You move to a You burn the scrub andnew patch of land Plant more cropsWithout any shelter itDries up and blows But over time the soils away Loses its nutrientsBut your family needs So your crops get It or they will starve poorer and poorer
6. Desertification• This is when a place starts to turn into a desert.• The soil then blows away and nothing can grow there any more• When it does rain, the soil gets washed away and the land becomes useless• Here
7. Task• Imagine you are a farmer in the savannah• Write about your life and the problems that are occurring• Is it your fault?• Do you have any options?• Talk about your worries• The worries of a savanna farmer