2. Specification Detail The role of lateral thinking and deliberate creativity in developing new business ideas
3. Deliberate Creativity The essence of deliberate creativity is to focus on what people already know Once the topic is described in detail, the trick is to focus on one element and ask how it might be different This allows ordinary people to come up with good new ideas
4. TASK: Maltesers
5. Competitive Advantage andCreativity Competitive advantage is the term given to any factors that help a business succeed when fighting direct rivals. There are two ways to achieve this: Making the price lower Making your product stand out more The last element is where thinking creatively comes in.
6. Evaluating Ideas Two key stages:- Evaluating whether a great idea is also a good, sensible, workable one Bringing the idea to reality Because the people coming up with ideas were subjected to differing moods, people are placed into different roles These roles are known the thinking hats
7. Benefits Identifying the number and likely scale of the benefits
8. Constituencies and feelings Which groups of people will be affected by the idea, what is their likely reaction and how can these factors be managed?
9. Data What data do we have and do we still need to take an informed decision? How reliable are the sources? And how do we handle uncertainty in the data?
10. Issues to be managed Identifying the risks and how they are to be managed
11. Solutions What solutions can we identify to the problems identified by the black, red and white hats. How can they be overcome?
12. Process Who will be responsible for what, if we carry the project forward?
13. Actions What actions should we take? Have we enough information to take a decision now? Or should we carry on with the analysis phase?